McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to McLean County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records. Located in the Western Coal Fields region.
|McLean County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1854|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 4.18 Voting Registers
- 4.19 Societies and Libraries
- 4.20 Web Sites
- 5 References
1908--A disaster destroyed some records.
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- The KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- McLean Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in McLean County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in McLean County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of McLean County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Cox, Elizabeth Smith. Guffie Thru the Years, McLean County, Kentucky. Calhoun, Ky.: Captain William Rowan Chapter, DAR, 1991. FHL Book 976.9826/G1 H2c
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B171cp
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company A
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company B
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company C
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company D
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company E
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company F
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company G
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company H
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company I
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company K
- - 1st Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company B
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company A
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company B
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company C
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company D
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company E
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company F
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company G
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company H
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company I
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company K
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company L
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company M
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company A
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company B
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company C
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company D
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company E
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company F
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company G
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company H
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company I
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company K
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1849-1911 - Will Book 1 (1849-1911) has been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1854-1861 - McLean County Marriage Index 1854-1861. Batch M517681 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876 - McLean County Marriage Index 1876. Batch M517682 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
The 1863 "Sacramento poll-book, McLean county, Kentucky," appeared as evidence in a House of Representatives case in Washington, D.C. Information is listed about more than 100 voters. For access, see:
- "Contested election, John McHenry, Jr., vs. George H. Yeamans, second congressional district of Kentucky, papers," in U.S. Serial Set 1200 H.misdoc.36: Dec 9, 1863. Digital version in U.S. Serial Set, HeritageQuest Online ($). [Search for "Person Name" McHenry Yeamans, see pp. 86-88 for list.]
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- McLean Co. KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), McLean County, Kentucky page 273, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Voice of Dorothy Murphy (b. 1927), life-long resident of Central City, Ky. (2011)
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.