McCurtain County, Oklahoma Genealogy
McCurtain County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|McCurtain County, Oklahoma|
| Map of Oklahoma highlighting McCurtain County|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Founded||July 16, 1907|
|Address|| McCurtain County Courthouse|
108 N. Central Ave.
Idabel, Oklahoma 74745
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1907--McCurtain County was created 16 July 1907 from Choctaw Lands.
County seat: Idabel 
Alikchi, America, Battiest, Beachton, Bethel, Bokhoma, Boss, Broken Bow, Buck Creek Landing, Burwell, Clebit, Crossroads, Doaksville (historical), Eagletown, Eastport, Farmers Hill, Felker, Garvin, Glover, Golden, Goodlake, Goodwater, Harris, Haworth, Hill Chapel, Hochatown, Holly Creek, Idabel, Iron Stob Corner, Kulli, Kullituklo, Lukfata, Millerton, Moon, Mound Grove, Mount Herman, Mount Zion, Nani-chito, North Pole, Oak Hill, Pickens, Plainview, Pleasant Hill, Plunketville, Redland, Ringold, Rufe, Sherwood, Shinewell, Shults, Slim, Smithville, Steel Junction, Stephens Gap, Tiner, Tom, Ultima Thule, Valliant, Watson,Wright City
- Bowie County, Texas
- Little River County, Arkansas
- Polk County, Arkansas
- Red River County, Texas
- Sevier County, Arkansas
Battiest, Beachton, Beechtree, Bethel, Big Lick, Bohanan, Bokhoma, Broken Bow, Buffalo, Byrms, Canfield, Clear Creek, Crown Hill, Cusher, Denison, Eagletown, Eastport, Forest Hill, Harris, Harris Mill, Haworth, Hochatown, Joe Slater Memorial, Kulli Tuklo, Kulli-Chito, Lukfata, Manning, Milton, Miners, Moran, Mountain Fork, Naniah Chito, Nani-Chito, Oka Achukma, Old Bohanan, Old Panther, Old Smithville, Panki Bok, Parson, Parsons, Philadelphia, Pine Ridge, Pruitt's Field, Redland, Ringold, Rufe, Sand Hill, Sherwood, Smithville, Sweet Home, Thomas Chapel, Tohwali, Tonka, Valliant, Valliant Upton, Waterhole, Watson, Watsons Memorial, Wheelock, Wilson Chapel, Wright City, Yasho
For tips on accessing McCurtain County, Oklahoma Genealogy census records online, see: Oklahoma Census.
A brief history of Wheelock Seminary, part of the Wheelock Mission church can be found in the Chronicles of Oklahoma.
Historic Newspapers (no longer published)
Here are the known McCurtain County newspapers, along with where they were published and their years of publication. See the Chronicling America and Worldcat websites for libraries and institutions that may hold copies or microfilm.
- Acme News, Broken Bow, 1912-1913
- American Socialist, Garvin, 1910-191?
- B B Developer, Broken Bow, 1911-1913
- Beacon-Times, Idabel, 1911-191?
- Broken Bow News and McCurtain County News-Graphic, Broken Bow, 1973-1976
- Broken Bow News, Broken Bow, 1913-1973
- Broken Bow News-Graphic, Broken Bow, 1976-1976
- Challenger, Valliant, 1968-1981
- Daily Beacon-Times, Idabel, 1913-191?
- Democrat Record and Beacon-Times, Idabel, 1914-1915
- Democrat-Record, Idabel, 1910-1914
- Democrat-Record, Idabel, 1915-191?
- Garvin Graphic, Garvin, 1903-1919
- Garvin Pioneer, Garvin, 190?-191?
- Haworth Herald, Haworth, 1912-192?
- Idabel News, Idabel, 1919-1922
- Idabel Signal, Idabel, 1905-190?
- Little Dixie Beacon, Idabel, 1967-19??
- McCurtain County American, Smithville, 1907-190?
- McCurtain County Beacon, Idabel, 1911-1911
- McCurtain County Journal, Valliant, 1981-1983
- McCurtain County Record, Valliant, 19??-195?
- McCurtain Daily Gazette, Idabel, 1969-1972
- McCurtain Democrat, Idabel, 1922-194?
- McCurtain Gazette, Idabel, 1907-1969
- McCurtain Gazette, Idabel, 1972-1978
- McCurtain Record, Valliant, 1908-1910
- McCurtain Weekly Gazette, Idabel, 1969-1972
- Methodist Herald, Broken Bow, 1921-1921
- Millerton Progress, Millerton, 1908-1910
- Millerton Progress-News, Millerton, 190?-1908
- The-Signal, Idabel, 1905-1905
- Valliant News, Valliant, 1904-190?
- Valliant Times, Valliant, 1910-1911
- Valliant Tribune, Valliant, 1911-194?
Historic Newspapers available online
The website Gateway to Oklahoma History has digitized a few issues of McCurtain County newspapers from the early 1900s, including:
- McCurtain Gazette, Idabel, Oklahoma
- Millerton Progress, Millerton, Oklahoma
- Millerton Progress-News, Millerton, Oklahoma
- Broken Bow News, Broken Bow, 1976-Current
- Southeast Times, Broken Bow, 1988-Current
- McCurtain Daily Gazette, Idabel, 1978-Current
- McCurtain Sunday Gazette and Broken Bow News, Idabel, 1977-Current
- Valliant Leader, Valliant, 1983-Current. A few issues of the Valliant Leader from 2005-2007 have been digitized by Google.
Societies and Libraries
McCurtain County Libraries:
The Southeastern Public Library System of Oklahoma serves several counties, including McCurtain.
Individual libraries are:
Family History Centers
- Gateway to Oklahoma History
- Indian Pioneer Collection- University of Oklahoma
- Linkpendium: Oklahoma: McCurtain County
- OKGenWeb: McCurtain County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), McCurtain County, Oklahoma. Page 561 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- US Geographic Names Server website