Mawdesley with Bispham, Lancashire Genealogy
Guide to Mawdesley with Bispham, Lancashire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Mawdesley with Bispham, Lancashire|
|Poor Law Union||Chorley|
|Registration District||Chorley; Ormskirk|
|Parish registers: 1840|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1841|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Lancashire Record Office|
MAWDESLEY, a township with a district chapel, in the parish of Croston, Lancashire, union of Chorley, hundred of Leyland, N. division of Lancashire, 7 miles west by southwest from Chorley. It forms, with Bispham, an ecclesiastical district, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Croston. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, and consecrated in June, 1840. The Roman Catholic chapel here, also dedicated to St. Peter, was built in 1832. Other places in the parish include: Holland Meadow and Bispham.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish ClerksEdit
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes Website
- 1538 - 1910 England, Lancashire, Parish Registers 1538-1910 at FamilySearch — index
- 1603 - 1910 England, Lancashire, Cheshire, Yorkshire, Parish Registers, 1603-1910 at FamilySearch — index and images
Church of England
Mawdesley with Bispham chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Croston to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = findmypast|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|MAWDESLEY Chapelry (1840) Indexes|
|CROSTON ST MICHAEL & ALL ANGELS(ancient parish containing MAWDESLEY Chapelry)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Mawdesley with Bispham and comprising the whole ancient parish of Croston to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the CROSTON ST MICHAEL PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
- 1665 - Lancashire Hearth Tax: Leyland Hundred, Mawdesley. E 179/132/351, The National Archives. Microfilm: FHL Film 2228692.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- Lewis, Samuel A., [A Topographical Dictionary of England] (1848), pp. 277-280. Adapted. Date accessed: 21 October 2013.
- J.P. Earwaker, Three Lancashire Subsidy Rolls, viz., for the Hundred of Salford, 1541, the Hundred of Salford, 1622 and the Hundred of Leyland, 1628, Together with a Recusant Roll for the Hundred of Leyland, in 1628 (London: Record Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, 1885). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.