Mattapoisett, Plymouth County, Massachusetts Genealogy
Mattapoisett is a "recently" created town in Massachusetts that was the southwesterly portion of Rochester before 1857 and was first settled about 1750. The area was first in Plymouth Colony. The area was placed in Plymouth County when counties were formed in 1685. For a brief time, the town was part of the Dominion of New England from 1686 to 1689. The town is still in Plymouth County, though was in limbo, until the "Colony" was merged with Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1691 that became the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Mattapoisett became a town in 1857.
The basic data is from the "Historical Data" publication series with additions from various sources.
Village or section names include Antassawomock, Antassawomock Neck (extinct), Aucoote, Brant Island, Cannonville, Crescent Beach, East Mattapoisett, Hammondstown, Hollywood, Mattapoisett Neck, Ned's Point, Pico Beach, Pine Island, Ram Island, Randall Town (extinct), and Tinkham Town.
|20 May 1857||Incorporated as a town from the Second Parish of Rochester.|
]]Works written on the town include:
- Mattapoisett and Old Rochester, Massachusetts: being a History of these Towns and also in part of Marion and a portion of Wareham ([Mattapoisett, Mass.], 3rd ed., 1950), 426 pp.
Digital versions of the 1907 edition at Internet Archive and Google Books
WorldCat (Other Libraries); FHL book 974.482 H2m (1907 ed. only); FHL fiche 6081392 (1907 ed. only).
- Charles S. Mendell Jr., Shipbuilders of Mattapoisett ([New Bedford, Mass., 1937]),  pp.
WorldCat (Other Libraries).
- "Complete record of the names of all the soldiers and officers ... from the town of Mattapoisett during the rebellion begun in 1861," FHL film 482217.
- Mattapoisett Wikipedia page.
The town's vital records are available in many locations:
- Mattapoisett Town Clerk's Office
16 Main Street
PO Box 89
Mattapoisett MA 02739
Phone 508-758-4103 x2
- There are no microfilms of the originals created by the Family History Library.
- This is not part of the Massachusetts, Town Vital Collections, 1620–1988 on Ancestry.
- Official state copy of vital records starting in 1841. See the guide to the state for more information here.
There is no published book of vital records.
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day Mattapoisett. For the location of cemeteries, see PlymouthColony website. For more details regarding these cemeteries, see the state guide under cemeteries for books on the subject.
- Barlow Cemetery, 1756.
- Cushing Cemetery, n.d. (A)
- Ellis-Bolles Family Cemetery, 1872. (A)
- Fairhaven Road Cemetery, n.d. (B)
- Hammond Cemetery, 1740.
- Mattapoisett Friends Meeting House Cemetery, 1827. (B)
- Pine Island Cemetery, 19th century.
- St. Anthony's Cemetery, n.d.
Abstracts of the cemeteries above are marked and keyed to:
(A). New England Historic Genealogical Society Manuscripts Dept.
(B). Charles M. Thatcher, Old Cemeteries of Southeastern Massachusetts (Middleborough, Mass., 1995). WorldCat (Other Libraries); FHL book 974.4 V3
The following is a list of churches established in town in order of organization date (if known) and condition of records in the 1889 survey if listed.
- Sippican Meeting [then Rochester Meeting, and now Mattapoisett Monthly Meeting] of Friends, 1702, records condition not given [records with the Sandwich Monthly Meeting to 1793 and New Bedford Monthly Meeting after that].
- Mattapoisett Congregational Church, 1736, records good.
- Universalist Church, 1831, records good. [extinct?]
- St. Philip's Episcopal Church, 1880s?
- St. Anthony's Church, n.d.
There are no newspapers that have been published in Mattapoisett.
Libraries and Historical Societies
The following is a list of research facilities in town:
Mattapoisett Free Public Library
7 Barstow Street
PO Box 475
Mattapoisett MA 02739