Difference between revisions of "Massachusetts Naturalization and Citizenship"
(Added nav bar)
(Changing links/explanations from FS Research Outlines to Wiki articles)
|Line 34:||Line 34:|
== References ==
== References ==
''[MassachusettsResearch Outline.'' Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001.
Revision as of 23:14, 1 October 2010
Naturalization records were filed in the various county and district courts of Massachusetts. The Family History Library has some microfilm copies of these records.
New England naturalization records for 1791 to 1906 were copied and indexed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in the late 1930s. Some of the records are more recent than 1906. The index gives the name and location of the court, the date of naturalization, and the volume and page number (or certificate number) of the naturalization record. The copies and index are at the National Archives—New England Region. The National Archives in Washington, DC, and the Family History Library have microfilm copies of the index:
- United States, Immigration and Naturalization Service. Index to New England Naturalization Petitions, 1791–1906. Washington, DC: National Archives, 1983. (Family History Library films 1429671-787.)
The Family History Library also has:
- United States, District Court (Massachusetts). Naturalization Index Cards, 1790–1926. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1985. (Family History Library films 1420205-21.) An index to naturalization records of the U.S. District Court and the U.S. Circuit Court for Massachusetts. A letter M beside the petition number indicates that it is a military naturalization.
- Massachusetts. Secretary of the Commonwealth. Returns of Naturalization before Various Massachusetts Courts, 1885–1931. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1993. (On nine films, beginning with Family History Library film 1901984.) These documents are also at the Massachusetts State Archives. Most years have full name indexes. List name, age, occupation, residence, date of naturalization, and witnesses.
- Massachusetts. Secretary of the Commonwealth. Indexes to Returns of Naturalization, 1920–1923, 1924–1925. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1994. (On seven Family History Library films, beginning with film 1940387.) Card index is also available at the Massachusetts State Archives. Each index card typically lists name, residence (town), occupation, court, age, and date.
- United States. District Court (Massachusetts). Naturalization Records, 1906–1917. Washington, DC: National Archives, 1988. (Family History Library films 1578248–302.) Microfilms of originals are also in the National Archives in Washington, DC. Most volumes are individually indexed. Petitions list court district, name, residence, occupation, date and place of petition, port and date of embarkment, port of arrival, vessel, citizenship date, spouse, children, and their birth dates and places.
Post 1906 Records
National Archives—Northeast Region
Frederick C. Murphy Federal Center
380 Trapelo Road
Phone: (781) 663-0130
Fax: (781) 663-0154
Naturalization information online:
Massachusetts Naturalization Index: http://www.rootsweb.com/~ussnei/NatlzMA.htm
Massachusetts Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001.
- NOTE: All of the information from the original research outline has been imported into this Wiki site and is being updated as time permits.