Maryland in the War of 1812
During the War of 1812, Maryland supplied 46,119 infantry men, 3,323 cavalry men, 3,106 artillery men, and 111 men in miscellaneous troops for a total of 52,659 men.
Explanation of the Major Record Types
- Pearson, Thomas A., comp. Genealogical Records of the War of 1812: an Introduction and Selected Bibliography of Materials in the Collection of St. Louis Public Library. (St. Louis, Missouri: St. Louis Public Library, July 2004).
- Marine, William M. The British Invasion of Maryland 1812 – 1815. (Baltimore: Society of the War of 1812 in Maryland, 1913). Appendix has an alphabetical list of military personnel (p.199) and 11,000 Name Index with links (p.509). Digital versions at Internet Archives and Google Books.
- General Society of the War of 1812. The Constitution and Register of Membership of the General Society of the War of 1812 to October 1, 1899, (Philadelphia: Dewey and Eakens, Makers, 1899). Contains registers for eight states and District of Columbia. Descendant Members of the Maryland Society identifies veteran ancestor by name, his rank, unit in which he served, dates of service, etc., page 101. FHL Digital Book
- Ancestry. War of 1812 Service Records.($). This database gives name, company, rank at time of induction and at time of discharge of men mustered into the armed forces between 1812 and 1825.(Accessed 11 May 2012).
- Militia. Wright, F. Edward, Maryland militia, War of 1812, (Silver Spring, Maryland 1979-). Contents: vol. 1. Eastern Shore -- v. 2. Baltimore -- v. 3. Cecil and Harford counties -- v. 4. Anne Arundel and Calvert -- v. 5. St. Marys and Charles counties -- v. 6. Prince George's County -- v. 7. Montgomery County. FHL book 975.2 M2w and CD-ROM no. 3260
- Militia. Huntsberry, Thomas V and Joanne M Huntsberry, Western Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia militia in defense of Maryland, 1805 to 1815 (Baltimore, Maryland: T V Huntsberry, 1983) pages 182 FHL Book 975.2 M2h v. 1
- Light Dragoons. War of 1812 Maryland Light Dragoons, history, lists the regiments and companies with the counties the men were from.
- Privateers. Huntsberry, Thomas V., Maryland Privateers, War of 1812, (Baltimore, Maryland, 1983), 88 pages. FHL book 975.2 M2h v. 2
- Navy. Blizzard, Dennis F. and Thomas L. Hollowak. A Chronicle of War of 1812 Soldiers, Seamen and Marines. (Baltimore, Maryland: Society of the War of 1812 in Maryland, c1993). 138 pages. FHL Book 975.2 M2bL. Participants are arranged in alphabetical order, and there is a name index to other names in the entry.
A soldier may have been recorded in state records (see below) or in federal records (see US War of 1812 Pension Records).
- Fold3. Maryland War of 1812 Pension Files.(Free). Alphabetical by surname. Shows entire pension file for those digitized. Incomplete as of 1 June 2012.
Prisoners of War
- Huntsberry, Thomas V and Joanne M Huntsberry. Dartmoor Prison. (Baltimore, Maryland, 1984). 85 pages. About the Dartmoor Prison in Devon England where many U.S. citizens were incarcerated during the War of 1812. FHL book 975.2 M2h v. 3
- Huntsberry, Thomas V and Joanne M Huntsberry. North Point. (Baltimore, Maryland, J Mart, 1985), 122 pages. FHL book 975.2 M2h v. 4
- Maryland War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission. Maryland - Star-Spangled 200 features Star-Spangled History, helpful list of Maryland online resources, and celebratory events.(Accessed 13 Jun 2012).
- The Society of The War of 1812 in Maryland along with it's counterpart State Society United States Daughters of 1812 works to provide information about the people between the close of the American Revolution and the close of the War of 1812. Among the Societies' holdings are family histories.
- Maryland Historical Society, Source Guide to the War of 1812 is an inventory of the society’s library items and archival collections related to the War of 1812.
- Wesley Potter Kremer. 100 Great Battles of the Rebellion;...Also, All the Battles of the Revolution, War of 1812-5, Mexican War, Indian Battles, American-Spanish War, and Naval Battles. (Hoboken, N.J.: s.n., 1906), p. 326. Internet Archive.