The following websites will help you find cemetery records, transcriptions, and headstone photographs currently available online:
- Tombstone Transcription Project for Maryland
- Interment.net cemetery records for Maryland
- Cemetery Junction
- Maryland Gravestones
- Maryland Cemetery Pictures on flickr
- Maryland Cemeteries (at Maryland Genealogy) Cemetery inscriptions organized by county and city
Resources at the Maryland State Archives
- Tombstones and Cemetery Records. A bibliography for each county in Maryland is listed on this site. Other resources are also available.
- Funeral Home Records are closely related to a search for cemetery records. The Maryland State Archives website maintains a list of funeral homes and identifies where some of the records are located.
National Cemeteries in Maryland
- Annapolis National Cemetery - Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Baltimore National Cemetery - Baltimore City, Maryland
- Garrison Forest Veterans Cemetery - Owings Mills, Baltimore County, Maryland
- Loudon Park National Cemetery located in Baltimore City, Maryland. An index is available at Interment.net
- Point Lookout Confederate Cemetery located at the Point Lookout State Park, St. Mary's County, Maryland. Indexes are available at Interment.net, FindAGrave.com, and Descendants of Point Lookout POW Organization. Also of interest are the details about the Historical Marker that was erected by the state of Maryland in 1876. Click here to see panoramic views of the cemetery.
African American Cemeteries in Maryland
Cemetery records at the Family History Library
Click here to see the full list of cemetery records available at the Family History Library for Maryland: Maryland cemetery records at the Family History Library. A few examples from this list include:
- Historic graves of Maryland and the District of Columbia : with the inscriptions appearing on the tombstones in most of the counties of the state and in Washington and Georgetown You can review this book while visiting the Family History Library, or order a copy of the microfilm through your localfamily history center
- Genealogical collection : of miscellaneous church, cemetery and vital records of Delaware, Maryland and New Jersey This film can be ordered through your local family history center.
- A List of Ohioan's killed during the Civil War : buried at National Cemetery, Andersonville, Georgia; Antietam cemetery, Maryland, and miscellaneous cemeteries (This is a microfilm that can be ordered at your local family history center.)
- Directory of Maryland burial grounds. This is a book that was published in 1996. A microfilm copy is not available.
- D.A.R. genealogical records A book containing the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) compiled cemetery records for Maryland is available at the Library and a microfilm copy can also be order through your localfamily history center.
Maryland Cemetery Message Boards and Online Mailing Lists
If you need help finding the cemetery where your ancestor was buried in Maryland, an online message board or mailing list might be helpful:
See the individual county pages for a list of cemeteries within each county and links to available records: