Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Marshall County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1836--Marshall County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Holly Spring 
Some early records are lost.
Places / Localities
- Emery Cemetery, Byhalia BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Matthews, Paul A. Early Families of the Memphis Area: Profiles of 135 Families of Fayette, Shelby and Tipton Counties in Tennessee, Crittenden County, Arkansas and DeSoto and Marshall Counties in Mississippi: With Historical Time Lines and Photogrpahs of Those Counties. Memphis, Tennessee: Descendants of Early Settlers of Shelby and Adjoining Counties, 2008. FHL US/CAN Book 976 D2m.
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Civil War service men from Marshall County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Marshall County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company A - Walker Reserves
- Company F - Alcorn Rifles
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company F - Reason’s Company
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Richmond’s Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - McKissack’s Company
- Company K - Bowles’ Company, aka McEwen’s Company
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company B - Home Guards
- Company D - Jeff Davis Rifles
- Company F - Quitman Rifle Guards
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company F - Capt. Keith’s Company
- Company K - Capt. Monroe’s Company
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1836-1860 - Marshall County Marriage Index 1836-1860. Batch M520141 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1860-1870 - Marshall county Marriage Index 1860-1870. Batch M520142 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1873 - Marshall County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1870-1873. Batch M520143 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1877 - Marshall County Marriage Books 3 and 4 Index 1873-1877. Batch M520144 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1880 - Marshall County Marriage Books 5 and 6 Index 1877-1880. Batch M520145 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1880-1885 - Marshall County Marriage Books 7 and 8 Index 1880-1885. Batches M520146 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1890 - Marshall County Marriage Books 9 thru 10 Index 1885-1890. Batch M520147 and M520148 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1890-1895 - Marshall County Marriage Books 11 thru 13 Index 1890-1895. Batch M520149 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1894-1899 - Marshall County Marriage Books 14 and 15 Index 1894-1899. Batches M714241 and M749070 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1899-1903 - Marshall County Marriage Books 16 and 17 Index 1899-1903. Batch M749080 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1903-1905 - Marshall County Marriage Book 18 Index 1903-1905. Batch M749053 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1905-1908 - Marshall County Marriage Books 19 and 20 Index 1905-1908. Batch M749026 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1908-1912 - Marshall County Marriage Books 21 and 22 Index 1908-1912. Batch M749048 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1912-1916 - Marshall County Marriage Books 23 and 24 Index 1912-1916. Batch M749051 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Marshall County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.