Marksbury, Somerset Genealogy
MARKSBURY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Keynsham, E. division of Somerset, 3½ miles (E. by S.) from Pensford, containing the hamlet of Houndstreet.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Marksbury, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|SOPC = Somerset Online Parish Clerks - free|
|MARKSBURY PARISH Online Records|
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted 23 September 2013
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 February 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.