Map/Society Page Project - How to Create a Society Page
Map/Society Page Project How to Create a Society Page
- 1 How to Create a Society Page
How to Create a Society Page
Follow these steps:
Step One - Invite your Society to Participate
- Decide who from your society will enter information on your society Wiki page.
- Editing on the Wiki is similar to Microsoft Word and other word processing programs.
- There are written instructions and online videos to help guide a beginner through the process of editing on the Wiki.
Step Two - Collect Information about Your Society
- Use the Society Page and Infobox Form to determine what you would like to add on your society page.
- Skip any sections that do not apply to your society.
Step Three - Create a FamilySearch User Account
- If you are the appointed society representative to add information to the Wiki society page, you must create a FamilySearch user account. This will be a personal account and not a society account.
- Instructions on how to Create FamilySearch account. To print the instructions on the webpage, click on the printer icon at the top of the page.
- You may already have a FamilySearch user account if you have indexed on FamilySearch or signed in to view some images on FamilySearch Historical Records. If so, you do not need to create a new account and you can skip to Step Four.
Step Four - Log into the Wiki
NOTE: If you have just created an account, you should already be logged in and your name should appear in the top right of the screen and you can skip to Step Four. If your name does not appear, follow the instructions below to log into the Wiki:
- Log into the Wiki by going to wiki.familysearch.org and clicking, "Sign in" at the top right of the screen.
- Type in your user name and password and press enter.
- When you have successfully logged in, your name should appear in the top right of the screen.
Step Five - Create Your Society Page
- To create your Society's wiki page, type in the full name of your society in the search field in the top right corner of the screen. NOTE: if your society's name may be confused with another society in a different state or country, add in parenthesis the state or country. This will help the user know the locality your society covers. For example: Warren County Genealogical Society (Ohio)
- After you press enter, a list of wiki page results were appear.
- BLUE LINK: If you see your society's name listed with a blue link, a page has already been created and you do not need to create a new one. To view your society' page, click on the blue link.
- Review the information on your current society page.
- If you would like to add or change information on the page, go to Step Six below.
- RED LINK: If you see your society's name listed with a blue link, this indicates you need to create a new page. Click on the red link and a new page will appear. Continue with the instructions below:
- You should now see the wiki edit screen directly below the tan box. In the top left corner of wiki edit screen, click on the button, "wikitext."
- Copy and paste the following phrase in the wiki edit screen:
- Once you have pasted the phrase onto the page, scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the "summary" field (above the "Save page" button). Copy and paste in the field:
- Creating society page
- Now save the page by clicking on the "Save page" button.
Step Six - Add Info to Your Society Page
- Instructions on how to add information to the society Info box and the society Wiki page are below:
- You may find it helpful to view a completed example of a completed society page
NOTE: If you are not currently on your society wiki page, use the following instructions to help you navigate to your page.
- Locate your society page by typing your society name in the search box. Example: The Brickwall Genealogical Society.
- Review the results list and click on your society wiki page.