Madison County, Iowa Genealogy
|Madison County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1846|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
112 N John Wayne Dr. Winterset, Iowa 50273
1846--Madison County was created 13 January 1846 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Mahaska County prior to organization 19 February 1849. County seat: Winterset 
For an early history of the county go to the following link:
1875 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Altoona Public Library Archives, Polk County (1876-2000)
- Johnston Historical Society Archive, Polk County (1970-2007)
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Des Moines newspapers. This database is free at some libraries.
iagenweb.org/madison/probate_records/probate_index.html (U.S. GenWeb)
 (Information on birth records, U.S. GenWeb)
iagenweb.org/madison/birth_records/birth_rec_idx.html (Birth Index, U.S. GenWeb)
iagenweb.org/madison/birth_records/birth_rec_idx.html (Marriage Index, U.S. GenWeb)
iagenweb.org/madison/death_records/death_rec_index.html (Death Index, U.S. GenWeb)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Madison County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- iagenweb.org/madison/ (Madison Co., Iowa U.S.GenWeb)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).