Lyon County, Kansas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Lyon County Courthouse
Emporia, KS 66801-4000
Formerly Breckenridge Co. Name changed to Lyon 5 Feb 1862.
Clerk District Court has marriage records from 1861,
divorce records from 1860, probate records from 1859
and court records from 1858.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1856.
City Clerk has birth and death records. 
1857--Lyon County was created 17 February 1857 as an original county. County seat: Emporia 
During the Civil War men from Lyon County enlisted in the Emporia Guards, the Emporia Artillery and the Emporia Cavalry, 2nd Regiment Kansas Volunteer Infantry, Company H; 8th Regiment Kansas Infantry, Company H which was tranferred to the 9th Regiment Kansas Infantry, Company B; and the 11th Regiment Kansas Cavalry, Company C.
Emporia Gazette Death Notices Index 1892-1989 - Site gives information on the Index and how to obtain a copy of the obituary.
Emporia Gazette Death Notices Index 1990-1999 - Site gives information on the Index and how to obtain a copy of the obituary.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Lyon County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lyon County, Kansas page 253, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).