Lyman County, South Dakota Genealogy
Guide to Lyman County, South Dakota ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Lyman County Courthouse
Lyman County, South Dakota Record DatesEdit
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The Lower Brule Indian Reservation is located in Lyman County.
Business, Commerce, and OccupationsEdit
Before South Dakota was a state in 1889, parts of South Dakota were included in the 1836 Iowa Territory census (also known as Wisconsin Territory), 1840 Iowa Territory census, 1850 Minnesota Territory census, and the 1860-1880 Dakota Territory censuses. See links listed below.
State Census RecordsEdit
- 1885 South Dakota, Territorial Census, 1885 at Ancestry ($)
- 1895 South Dakota, State Census, 1895 at Ancestry ($)
Federal Census RecordsEdit
Federal Censuses were taken for South Dakota starting in 1910. For links to Federal census indexes, see South Dakota Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about South Dakota denominations, view the South Dakota Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and ImmigrationEdit
Ethnic, Political, and Religious GroupsEdit
Land and Property RecordsEdit
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Online Land Records
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1861 - 1936 - U.S. Homestead Records 1861-1936 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
Local histories are available for Lyman County, South Dakota Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section South Dakota Local Histories.
- Early settlers in Lyman County. 1974. By Mrs Delmer King. Presho, South Dakota : Lyman County Historical Society. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Lyman County pioneers, 1885-1968. 1974. Pierre, South Dakota : State Pub. Co.. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Of rails and trails, a centennial journey, 1889-1989. 1989. By Barbara Speck. Dallas, Texas : Curtis Media. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Winds of change in Lyman county. 1997. By Lyman County Historical Society. Presho, South Dakota : Lyman County Historical Society. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
Maps and GazetteersEdit
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of South Dakota - shows boundary changes for South Dakota Counties
- Historical Maps and Atlases of South Dakota - maps and atlases of South Dakota
- 1861 -1865 Dakota Territory Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.
- 1890 United States Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, 1890 at FamilySearch.
World War I
- 1917 - 1918 Roster of the men and women who served in the army or naval service (including the Marine Corps) of the United States or its allies from the state of North Dakota in the World War, 1917-1918, Vols. 1-4 at Ancestry ($)
- For further information see North Dakota Military Records.
Naturalization and CitizenshipEdit
For more information, see South Dakota Newspapers.
South Dakota Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of South Dakota newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of South Dakota newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some South Dakota newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
South Dakota Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lyman County, South Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in South Dakota, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for South Dakota, Lyman then click Probate records.
- 1800 – 1985 North Dakota and South Dakota Wills and Probate Records 1800-1985 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
Family History CentersEdit
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Lyman-Brule Genealogical Society
c/o Cozard Library
110 E. Lawler
Chamberlain, SD 57325
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Lyman County, South Dakota, p.626
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ’'Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 617. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.