Luna County, New Mexico Genealogy
Guide to Luna County New Mexico genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Luna County, New Mexico|
Location of New Mexico in the U.S.
|Founded||16 March, 1901|
|Address|| Luna County Courthouse]|
PO Box 1838;
Deming, NM 88031-1838
Luna County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- Up until 1821 - New Spain controlled land that later would become New Mexico and Arizona. Some records of early settlers may have been sent to an archives in Seville, Spain, or to archives in Mexico City.
- From 1821 until 1846 - Mexico had jurisdiction over the land that later would become New Mexico and Arizona. Some records of this period may have been sent to archives in Mexico City. Starting in 1846 United States forces occupied New Mexico during the Mexican-American War.
- 1848 - Land that became the northern quarter of Luna County formally became a part of the United States when the Mexican-American War ended with ratification of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
- 1855 - The Gadsden Purchase of Mexican land was added to Doña Ana County, New Mexico, part of which later became the southern part of Luna County.
For tips on accessing Luna County, New Mexico Genealogy census records online, see: New Mexico Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Local histories are available for Luna County, New Mexico Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section New Mexico Local Histories.
- New Mexico Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Deming New Mexico Family History Center
- Luna New Mexico Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Luna County, New Mexico page 474, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.