Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Lowndes County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
- Family Maps of Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Civil War service men from Lowndes County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Lowndes County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company I - Perkins’ Company
- - 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry [became the 48th Regiment, Missippi Infantry]
- Company - Blewett’s, aka Blewett’s Rifles, & aka "The Blewett’s"
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Hunt’s Company
- Company F - Harrington’s Company
- Company H - Richards’ Company
- Company I - Johnston’s Company
- Company K - Lipscomb’s Company
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company D - Lowndes Southrons
- Company E - Southern Avengers
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company E - Lowndes Southrons
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company E - Prairie Guards
- - 48th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry [from the 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry]
- Company C - Blewett’s Company, aka Blewett’s Rifles, & aka "The Blewett’s"
- Company K - Capt. J.H. Fields’ Company [subsequently became Co. F, 8th Confederate Cavalry]
- - 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company E [sic] - Abert’s Company
- Company F [sic] - Fields’ Company
- Company G - Matthews’ Company
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1830-1918 - Lowndes County Marriage Books 1-25 Index 1830-1918 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lowndes County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.