Lowndes County, Georgia Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1825--Lowndes County was created 23 Dec 1825 fromIrwin County.
County seat: Franklinville was county seat until 1837, when Valdosta became the county seat. Valdosta was originally named Troupville. 
1858 and 1869 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Lowndes County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- <I>The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America</I>,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).