Louisiana in the War of 1812
The last battle of the War of 1812 took place in January 1815 in New Orleans. The battle happened after the war officially ended in December 1814.
Louisiana Military Units
The following information about military units (currently incomplete) is taken from Index to Louisiana Soldiers During the War of 1812, which is a name index taken from the index compiled by John Bennett Pierson.
1st Regiment, Louisiana Militia (Dejan's)
2nd Battalion, Louisiana Militia (D'Aquin's)
2nd Regiment, Louisiana Militia (Cavelier's)
3rd Regiment, Louisiana Militia (de la Ronde's)
4th Regiment, Louisiana Militia (Morgan's)
5th Regiment, Louisiana Militia (La Branche's)
6th Regiment, Louisiana Militia (Landry's)
7th Regiment, Louisiana Militia (Le Beuf's)
8th Regiment, Louisiana Militia (Meriam's)
10th and 20th Consolidated Regiment, Louisiana Militia
12th and 13th Consolidated Regiment, Louisiana Militia
16th Regiment, Louisiana Militia (Thompson's)
17th, 18th, and 19th Consolidated Regiment, Louisiana Militia
19th Regiment, Louisiana Militia
Baker's Regiment, Louisiana Militia
De Clouet's Regiment, Louisiana Militia
Plauche's Battalion, Louisiana Militia
Captain Ramsey's Company, Mounted Riflemen, Louisiana Militia
Captain Thomas' Company, Louisiana Militia
Captain Hughes' Company, Mounted Riflemen, Louisiana Militia
Captain Hubbard's Mounted Company, Louisiana Militia
Captain Odgen's Company, Dragoons, Louisiana Militia
Captain Trudeau's Troop of Horse, Louisiana Militia
Captain Colsson's Company, Artillery, Louisiana Volunteers
Captain Allen's Company, Artillerists, Louisiana Volunteers
1st Battalion, US Volunteers (Henry's)
2nd Battalion, Louisiana Volunteers, (Peire's)
Captain Griffith's Mounted Riflemen, Louisiana Volunteers
Captain Lagan's Company, Louisiana Volunteers
Captain Sprigg's Company, Boatmen, Louisiana Volunteers
Captain Songy's Company, Marines, Louisiana Volunteers
- An index to compiled service records of Louisiana soldiers who served in the War of 1812 is on Family History Libraryfilms 880010-12. The service records and pension files are at the National Archives.
- "Index to compiled service records of volunteer soldiers who served during the War of 1812 in organizations from the state of Louisiana 1812-1815" (NARA M229) (FHL films 0880010–12)
- Pierson, Marion John Bennett, comp., Louisiana Soldiers in the War of 1812, ([S.l.]: Louisiana Genealogical and Historical Society, 1963). This is a roster of 12,500 persons in alphabetical order taken from the card files of the Adjutant General. Basically this is a comprehensive index to the the compiled service records. FHL book 976.3 M23p The USGenWeb list taken from this book gives name, rank, company and regiment or unit.
- Troop rosters are in Powell A. Casey, Louisiana in the War of 1812 (Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Casey, 1963; Family History Library book 976.3 M2c).
- Louisiana Soldiers in the War of 1812 on Ancestry.com ($) is a name searchable list of soldiers in the state militia during the War of 1812. Each entry includes the soldiers name , rank, company, and regiment or other unit.
- Louisiana Miscellaneous Military Rosters, microfilm of typescript housed at the Louisiana National Guard, Jackson Barracks, New Orleans, Louisiana, (Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1990). FHL film 1704157 Item 9.
- Louisiana War of 1812 Pension Lists describes these pension records with a link to the records.
- Louisiana State Pension Applications, War of 1812 Records consist of petitions to the court and the court proceedings proving eligibility for pension rights to soldiers of the War of 1812 and/or the Battle of New Orleans, which occurred in December 1814 and January 1815. This was a state funded pension and not a federal pension. They are arranged in alphabetical order according to the applicant. For more information, see Louisiana State Pension Applications, War of 1812 Records
- War of 1812 Pensioners Living in Florida and Louisiana in the 1880's: and Others on the Roll Including Some Civil War Pensioners, (Wyandotte, Oklahoma: Gregath, [199-?] ). FHL book 975.9 A1 no. 195
Rolls of Honor
Pierson, Marion John Bennett, Louisana soldiers in the War of 1812 (Louisana Genealogical & Historical Society, 1963) pages 124
Raymond, Charles E, Rapides Parish pensionars in the War of 1812 (New Orleans: Polyanthos c1977), pages 134