Los Altos California Family History Center
|This Family History Center article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Review the instructions and guidelines for FHC pages.
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Los Altos Family History Center is located at the Los Altos Stake Center and serves the communities of Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Mountain View, and parts of Sunnyvale and Palo Alto. The Center maintains several computers and film readers, and can have a ScanPro 2000 film digitizer unit available upon request. Our book collection contains many records from New England States.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 1300 Grant Road, Los Altos, CA
(Link to map using Google or other map sites)
Open Hours: Tues - Thurs, 7 PM to 9 PM and Sunday, 3 PM - 5 PM and by appointment.
Holiday Schedule: The Center will be closed for
Thanksgiving, 24 Nov 2011,
Christmas, Sun. 25 Dec 2011
New Years Day, Sun. 1 Jan 2012
Easter, 8 Apr 2012
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings Staff training sessions occur every second Sunday from 4:30PM to 5:30PM in the meeting room across from the center
- Family History Library Catalog: Micofilm and fiche found in the Family History Library Catalog may be ordered online at www.familysearch.org/films and designated to be delivered to the Los Altos Family History Center. Once delivered they may be viewed on the equipment at the center free of charge during normal open hours..
- A catalog of all of the books, periodicals, CD's and extended loan microfilms and microfiche held by the Los Altos Family History Center is available online
NOTE : When using the link to the Bay Area Family History Centers Catalog you are searching the catalogs of 15 family history centers. When you find a resource of interest, be sure to click on the "Show Copies" tab to see which location has the book, film. microfiche or CD you are interested in.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. (Note to FHC: Not all FHCs have access to this portal. If you do not, you will want to remove this entire bullet. If you do have access to it, just remove this text in italics.)
Hardware and Equipment
- Three computers, three film readers, one microfiche reader and one ScanPro 2000 digitizer (upon request)
Staff Research Specialties
The staff has advanced training in English research and New England research
Resources in the Local Area
The Silicon Valley Computer Genealogy Group meets every second Saturday (except Dec) at the same location as the Santa Clara Family History Center and offers a variety of classes and computer training sessions for all levels of research and skills.
The Santa Clara City Library on Homstead Rd. maintains a large collection of genealogical materials on the second floor.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)