Logan County, West Virginia Genealogy
|Logan County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Church
- 4.3 Court
- 4.4 Family Histories
- 4.5 Land
- 4.6 Local Histories
- 4.7 Maps
- 4.8 Military
- 4.9 Mine Wars
- 4.10 Korean War
- 4.11 World War II
- 4.12 Naturalization Records
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
300 Stratton Street
Logan, WV 25601
County Clerk has birth, marriage and death records from 1872, burial, probate, land and military records. Circuit Clerk, had divorce, court records and naturalization records
See an interactive map of Logan County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
The best place to get started tracing your Logan County ancestors is Logan County Recreated. ALL the families that lived in the area between the 1850s and the 1870s. His database is available through FamilySearch Community Trees.
- There is a list of cemeteries on Logan County, West Virginia Cemeteries
- Find A Grave Logan County
- Logan County Tombstone Inscriptions
- Funeral Homes in Logan, West Virginia
- Political Graveyard - Logan County, West Virginia
- For tips on accessing Logan County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- Turner, David Anderson "1860 Census of Logan County, Virginia" annotated by Mr Turner. 1981.
- Logan county, WV 1880 Federal Census Index
Turner, David Anderson "1880 Census of Logan County, West Virginia" annotated 1981. Annoted by Mr Turner
LDS Ward and Branch Records
West Virginia Biographies Project - Logan County
The following compiled genealogies treat multiple Logan County families:
- Anglin, Walter F. The Anglin Families of Colonial Virginia, In search of Descendants Approximately 300 pages
- Ball, Nina, Ferrell, Lenore Kinger. The Ball Family of Boone County, West Virginia. 1980. 1998 2nd printing. Boone County Educational Workshop page 336.
- Cook, Bonnie Turner. The Family of John Cooke McClain Printing, Parsons, West Virginia. 2001
- Browning, Stanley C. Tracking the Pioneers: A History of Browning Families of Southern West Virginia.Lulu Press, Inc., 2006. Morrisville, NC 27560, www.lulu.com
- Burgess, James A. Burgess, Mullins, Browning, Brown and Allied Families. Parsons, W.Va.: McClain Printing Company, 1978. FHL Film 1035668 Item 10; digital version at Family History Archives - free.
- Dickerson, Florence S. The James Stewart Family of Early Augusta County, Virginia 1740-1760. 1966 McClain Printing Company, McClain Printing, 319 pages.
- Lane, Mrs Julian C. "Key and Allied Families" Statesboro, Georgia. The Press 1931
- Maynard, Roland B. The Maynards of East Kentucky: From Pioneers to the Tenth Generation." 1 May 1978 Gateway Press, Inc. Baltimore, Maryland 506 pages.
- Phillips, Shelby Phillips. David Branham and his Descendants. 1995.
- Riggins Sharol. "Teage Riggen and his Riggen, Riggin Riggins, descendants.Gateway Press
- Thomas, Joseph. Logan County West Virginia and Beyond. 2007. 777 pages.
- Thompson, Fred C. Ferrell, Vance and Allied Families 1991. 500 pages.
* *Turner, David Anderson. The Family of Floyd Cook.
- [Price] Price, Jay Berry and Harry Hollingsworth. The Price, Blakemore, Hamblen, Skipwith and Allied Lines, Descendants of English, French, Spanish and Italian Kings and Sureties of the Magna Charta, A.D. 534-1992. Knoxville, Tenn., 1992. FHL Book 929.273 P931pjb.
- [Spratt] Buchanan, Paul C. "The Spratt Family of Southwest Virginia Prior to 1800," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 32, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1988):297-305. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 32 (1988).
- Johnston, David E. History of the Middle New River Settlements & Contiguous Territory Standard Printing & Publishing, Huntington, WV 1906 General History, family sketches,military rosters, including areas of Giles and Tazewell County which are now in Logan County.
- Booton, Orland H. Account of Mine Wars 1960
- Brumfield, Darrell, Ellis, Smith, Flossie Hatfield. Stories About Gilbert, West Virginia and Surround Communities. 1993. Gateway Press, Baltimore, Md.
- Brumfield, Darrell, Ellis, Smith, Flossie Hatfield. Stories About Gilbert, West Virginia and Surround Communities. 1995. Gateway Press, Baltimore, Md.
- Davis, Dolores Riggs. Dehue History Book - Depicts the rise and decline between 1916-1994 of the mining town or Dehue 1916-1994. 152 pages.
- Jackson, Margaret A History of Logan West Virginia" 1950
- Pearlman, Agnes B. "Virginia, Later West Virginia." 1976
- Ragland, Henry Clay History of Logan County, Virginia 1896.
- Smith, Nancy Sue. History of Logan and Mingo Counties, Beginning in 1617. Williamson West Virginia . 1966.
- Spence, Robert Y. Land of the Guyandot: A History of Logan County, West Virginia. 1976
- Swain, George T.:History of Logan County, Virginia rewritten by in 1927
- Waller, Altine L. Feud: Hatfields McCoys & Social Change in Appalachia, 1860-1900University of North Carolina Press, 1988. War of Economics, Genealogical Tables for both families.
- Wardell, Patrick. "Virginia & West Virginians 1670-1870". Heritage Books 1986
- Thurmon, Walter R The Logan Coal Field of West Virgina; West Virginia University Library 1964.
- Centennial Program: City of Logan, West Virginia 1852-1952. 1952
- 1850 Virginia Map Including West Virginia
- Map of Logan County, West Virginia
- Trails Rus-West Virginia Map
- Logan County West Virginia 1895
- Map Showing Logan County, West Virginia
- Guyandotte River
- Logan County, WV
- West Virginia County Clerk Map
- City of Logan West Virginia Map
- Topo Zone Logan County
- Bridge Hunter Map
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Logan County on page 135.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
- West Virginia, Revolutionary Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865.
- Grant, U.S. The Civil War", Battleground Publishing, Huntington, WV 1912 Civil Ware memories with list of Logan Veterans page 654.
- West Virginia in the Civil War
- Civil War 7th West Virginia Calvary
- Logan Wildcats
- Logan Wildcats Civil War WV Encyclopedia
- Rending of Virginia, Hall, Granville Davisson, self published 1902 The Birthing of West Virginia eyewitness accounts of Seccession and Wheeling Conventions, many pictures of ancestors.
- Great Pictures of the Civil War
- Civil War Medals of West Virginia. Where are they?
- Battle of Blair Mountain (Civil Uprising)
- Blair Mountain West Virginia Mine Wars
- Don Chafin Sheriff of Logan County, West Virginia
World War II
Logan County, West Virginia WWII Casualities Army and Air Force
West Virgina, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
- West Virginia Records at the Library of Virginia
- Early Logan County Tax List
- County and City Court Records Land and Office Patents & Grants Land Taxes, 1782-1900 Personal Property Taxes Vital Statistics, 1853-1862
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Logan County West Virginia Marriages from Other Counties. 2007. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website.
- Logan County USGENWEB Archives - Vital Records
- Logan County, West Virginia Marriage Archives
- Logan County Marriages 1992
- Brown, Donna L Logan County, West Virginia Marriages - 1892-1913 1993
- Brown, Donna L Logan County, West Virginia Marriages - 1913-1923" 1995
- Brown, Donna L "Logan County, West Virginia Birth & Deaths 1872-18921992
- Brown, Donna L "Logan County, West Virginia Birth & Deaths 1889-1906" 1994
- Fowler, Vicie F. Vital Statistics of Logan County West Virginia 1853-1860. Manuscript Collection
Societies and Libraries
Logan County Genealogical Society
P O Box 1959
Logan, West Virginia 25601
Logan Area Public Library
16 Wildcat Way
Logan, WV 25601
South West Virginia Community College 2900 Dempsey Branch Road
Mt-Gay - Shamrock,
Family History Books that were found at the South West Virginia Community College were taken to Logan High School in April May of 2004. Patron should call during inclement weather before traveling to confirm library hours. College Library has a wealth of information on Logan County History and Family History
Logan High School, Logan, West Virginia 304-752-6606
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers. The closest family history centers are in the Huntington Family History Center and the Charleston Family History Center
- Family History Library Catalog
- Logan County, West Virginia USGENWEB
- Logan West Virginia History and Nostalgia
- Logan County West Virginia Encyclopedia
- Logan County, West Virginia Commons
- Facebook Logan County, West Virginia
- Logan County History
- National Register of Historical Places Logan County, WV
- Logan Field
- Logan WV Gallery Photos
- Flickr Photos Logan County, WV
- Logan county People and Places
- McCormick's Fine Furnishing
- Logan County West Virginia Nostalgia
- Logan County Veteran's Page
- Logan WV Genealogy
- Fuzzy's Home Page
- Home of WVOW, Logan
- A Little Slice of Logan County, WV
- 2010 U.S. Census Bureau Facts Logan County, WV
- Logan County West Virginia History and Genealogy
- Buffalo Creek Flood
- Logan County, West Virginia Bridges
- Environmental Justice Case Study: Buffalo Creek Disaster
- Buffalo Creek Disaster Coal dam leads to flood - You Tube
- Looking Back at the Buffalo Creek Disaster C V Moore
- Lessons Unlearned from Buffalo Creek Disaster
- Logan County, West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- West Virginia 1895 County Maps
- Photograph - General Information - How to's - Styles
- West Virginia Drive In Movie Theaters
- Logan County UTube Videos
- Logan County Video - UTube\
- Logan County U Tube Route 10 Man to Logan
- Political Scandals in Logan County, West Virginia Wikipedia
- Hatfield McCoy Feud Wikipedia
Hatfield McCoy Stories
- Hatfield McCoy Country
- Hatfield McCoy feud wiki
- The Hatfield Family - West Virginia Division of Culture and History
- Hatfield-McCoy Feud West Virginia Archives
- Hatfield-McCoy Feud - Roseanna: Juliet of the Mountains
- Hatfield McCoy Feud Matewan
Mining in Logan County, West Virginia
West Virginia Archives and History Mine Wars Mountain Top Coal Mining, Logan County, West Virginia Logan Coal Field Surface Mining Fatal Mining Accidents Railroads, Coal in West Virginia Manslaughter on Buffalo Creek: The Pittston Mentality The Friends of Blair Mountain Logan County Phraseology
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Logan County, West Virginia. Page 744 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The following sources were used to create this database: (1) The History of Logan County by Henry Clay Ragland, (2)1850 Logan County Virginia Census, (3) 1860 Logan County Virginia Census, (4) 1870 Logan County WV Tridelphia Township, (5) 1850 Wyoming County, Virginia Census, (6) 1853-1860 Logan County, Virginia Birth Marriage and Death Records, and (7) 1850 - 1860 - 1870 Logan County, Virginia Mortality Schedules.