Llanwnws, Ceredigion, Wales Genealogy
A guide to genealogy in Llanwnws, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
LLANWNWS (LLAN-WNWS), a parish, comprising the townships of GWNNWS-ISÂV or Lower, and GWNNWS UCHÂV,or Upper, which separately maintain their own poor, in the upper division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 11 miles (S.E. by S ) from Aberystwith, and 15 ( N.N.E.) from Lampeter. This parish, which extends nearly fourteen miles in length, and, upon the average, three miles in breadth, comprises a wide tract nearly in the centre of the county, bounded on the north by the river Ystwith, and on the south by the Teivy. The church, dedicated to St. Gwnnws, is a small edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, built in 1829. Four Sunday schools are held, two of them in connexion with the Established Church, one with the Calvinistic Methodists, and one with the Baptist denomination.
For more information see Gwnnws at Genuki.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Llanwnnws at Vision of Britain
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 157-165. Adapted. Date accessed: 21 January 2014.