Llangernyw, Conwy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 16:46, 21 June 2013 by Jamiekay (talk | contribs) (added transcription from out-of-copyright book)

Jump to: navigation, search

WalesGotoarrow.pngConwyGotoarrow.pngLlangernyw

Llangernyw is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in the County Borough of Conwy, Wales.

Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Denbighshire and, between 1874 and 1996 in the County of Clwyd. In 1996 it became part of the modern County Borough of Conwy.

History

"LLANGERNIEW (LLAN-GERNIEW), a parish partly in the hundred of Isaled, and partly in that of Isdulas, county of Denbigh, 8 miles (W. by N.) from Denbigh, containing 1036 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the banks of the river Elwy, and comprises a large portion of one of the most rugged and mountainous parts of the county. ..... That part of the parish which is in the hundred of Isaled comprises the Upper and Lower Divisions, and that which is in the hundred of Isdulas forms the township of Marchaled... The church, dedicated to St. Digain, is a large edifice in excellent repair... There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]

For more information on Llangernyw see:

Administration

Years County
before 31 March 1974 Denbighshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996 Conwy

Records

Civil Registration

Church Records

Census Records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.


Probate Records

Poor Law Union Records

Maps and Gazetteers

Web Sites