Llan-giwg, Glamorgan, Wales Genealogy
Llan-giwg (also spelled Llangiwg, Llanguick and Llanciwg) is an ecclesiastical parish in the north west portion of Glamorgan in Wales. The parish is five and a half miles Northwest of Neath. The church is dedicated to Saint Ciwg. The parish contains about 12,550 acres. The Duke of Beaufort was one of the largest landowners in the parish.
Online Family TreesEdit
|Years||Marcher Lordship / County|
|pre 1536||-the lordship of Glamorgan and Morgannwg
-the lordship of Gower and Kilvey
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Glamorgan|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||West Glamorgan|
|from 1 April 1996||Neath Port Talbot|
Hamlets: Alltgreig, Blaenegel, Caegurwen, and Mawr.
Poor Law Union:
Neath: 2 Sept 1836-26 March 1875
Pontardawe created 26 March 1875
Neath 1 July 1837 - 1 July 1875
Pontardawe 1 July 1875 - 1 January 1935
West Glamorgan 1 January 1935 - 1 April 1974
Swansea 1 April 1974 - present
Cilybebyll -Turberville, Lloyd, Bassett, Leach
Dyffryn Clydach -Philip Williams
Gnoll -Herbert Macworth (manor of Caergurwen)
Penlle'rgaer -Griffith Price
Shewen - William & Joseph Shewen (entered in 1730s by marriage)
Ynyscedwyn - Aubrey & Gough families
Resources for finding ancestorsEdit
To start your search, decide when your ancestor lived. If he or she lived between 1837-1911, start by searching civil registration and census records. If they lived before 1837, use church records and probate records. Read more about these and other records below.
The 1841-1911 censuses are available online with indexes and images:
|St Ciwg (ancient parish)||Pontardawe St Peter||Ynysmeudwy St Mary|
|Baptisms / Christenings||
1704-1979; Banns 1823-1861
- The following Llangiwg parish records are available at the Family History Library
|Bishop Transcripts: Christenings, Marriages, Burials and Christenings and Burials||1685-1713; 1725-1834 1837-1866|
The Glamorgan Family History Society have published indexes to most of the parish registers.
Nonconformist Church RecordsEdit
The following chapel records from Llan-giwg parish are available on the IGI:
|Cwmllynfell Chapel (Independent) Births and Baptisms||1760-1835|
The following chapel records have been deposited at an archive:
|Pant teg||Christenings 1822-1837||TNA RG4 3495 FHL 813540|
Births, marriages and deaths in Llan-giwg will be recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Neath
- Carmel: transcript at West Glamorgan Archives
- Cwmllynfell (old chapel) (publication of transcript and index expected in 2019)
- Cwmllynfell (new chapel) (not recorded yet)
- Godre'r Graig: transcript & index recorded by the Ystradgynlais Family History Group, published by Glamorgan Family History Society
- Gwrhyd: transcript & index published by Glamorgan Family History Society
- Llan-giwg parish church (publication of transcript and index expected in 2019)
- Saron Chapel (old & new): transcript & index published by Glamorgan Family History Society
Old Poor Law (pre-1834)Edit
Vestry minutes and church warden accounts are at the West Glamorgan Archive in Swansea.
New Poor Law (after 1834)Edit
The tithe agreement date for Llan-giwg was 2 August 1838. An index and images are available online at Welsh Tithe Maps - Places of Wales
- Thomas, Hugh. "The Industrialization of a Glamorgan Parish." National Library of Wales Journal. 19, no. 4 (1976) pp. 345-361.
- Clark, Godfrey L. "Survey Roll of Kegerwen Manor 19 April 1610" Cartae et alia munimenta quae ad dominium de Glamorgancia pertinent. Cardiff: William Lewis. 1910. (p. 2156-2165)
- In the Footsteps of Saints and Sinners: Llangiwg Church past, present and future by D. Gerald O. James
- Old Characters of Cwmgors and Gwauncaegurwen from the year 1840 by Jonah Evans, translated by Jenni Hyatt
- Old Characters of Gellinudd by J. E Morgan, 1908
- The Diaries of Margaret Penderel Jones of Garth 1871 to 1897 edited by Dr. Peter Jackson
- The History of Pontardawe by J.E. Morgan
- The Joneses and Penderels of Garth Rhydyfro, Pontardawe by Elizabeth F. Belcham
Libraries Museums ArchivesEdit
West Glamorgan Archives
National Library of Wales
The National Archives (Kew)
Neath Antiquarian Society
Llangiwg a site by Friends of Llangiwg Church
Photos (church and family)
- Thomas, Hugh. "The Industrialization of a Glamorgan Parish." National Library of Wales Journal. 19, no. 4 (1976) pp. 345.
- Irish University Press. ‘1871 Census England and Wales Preliminary Report with Tables Area Housing and Population Volume 1’, Irish University Press series of British parliamentary papers. Population. Shannon: Irish University Press. 1970. FHL# Q942 N2bpo vol 16, p 732.
- Irish University Press. ‘1891 Census England and Wales Area Housing and Population Volume 1 Index to the Population Tables’, Irish University Press series of British parliamentary papers. Population. Shannon: Irish University Press. 1968. FHL# Q942 N2bpo vol 21, p 511.
- Thomas, Hugh. "The Industrialization of a Glamorgan Parish." National Library of Wales Journal. 19, no. 2 (1976) pp. 195-6
- Glamorgan Local History Society, and Glamorgan History Society. "News From The Glamorgan Record Office." Morgannwg: transactions of the Glamorgan Local History Society. Cardiff: Glamorgan Local History Society. 1957. vol 1, p. 58, image 64.https://journals.library.wales/view/1169834/1169835/63#?cv=63&m=0&h=Llangiwg&c=0&s=0&manifest=https%3A%2F%2Fdamsssl.llgc.org.uk%2Fiiif%2F2.0%2F1169834%2Fmanifest.json&xywh=-654%2C1241%2C3531%2C2150.
- Williams, C. J., and J. Watts-Williams. Cofrestri Plwyf Cymru. [Aberystwyth]: National Library of Wales & Welsh County Archivists Group in association with the Society of Genealogists. 2000.