Little Plumstead, Norfolk Genealogy
PLUMSTEAD, LITTLE (St. Gervase and St. Protasius,) a parish, in the union and hundred of Blofield, E. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (E. by N.) from Norwich. 
Little Plumstead St Gervase and St Protease is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich Blofield deanery. Norfolk churches provides some pictures and history of St. Gervase and St. Protase.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Blofield 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Images of the parish register for this parish are available on Historic Records (formerly Record Search)
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 452
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
1891 Census Surnames Index courtesy of the Norfolk Transcription Archives.
1597 Subsidy Taxes courtesy of the Norfolk Transcription Archives.
Poor Law Unions
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Blofield/Blofield.shtml
The union consisted of the following parishes: Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Bradestone, Brundall, Buckenham Ferry, Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund, Burlingham St Peter, Cantley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Hassingham, Hemblington, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Moulton, Great Plumstead, Little Plumstead, Postwick, Ranworth with Panxworth, Reedham, Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe St Andrew, Tunstall, Upton with Fishley, Walsham St Lawrence, Walsham St Mary, Wickhampton, Witton, Woodbastwick.
Blofield Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse was opened in 1836 at Lingwood. Blofield Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 3 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 6 May 1971 (C/GP2/29) and on unknown dates
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/little-plumstead-st-gervase-st-protase/ for information about the parish
http://www.norwich.anglican.org/church?deanery=2 Blofield Deanery
http://www.churchintheplumsteads.com/ for information about parishes in the area
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/england/norfolk/great+and+little+plumstead British Listed Buildings
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/littleplumstead/index.html Norfolk Churches website
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 578-586. Date accessed: 22 April 2013.