Difference between revisions of "Lipscomb County, Texas Genealogy"
(added history intro)
(add probate intro)
|Line 72:||Line 72:|
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Probate ====
==== Taxation ====
==== Taxation ====
Revision as of 23:20, 27 March 2013
Guide to Lipscomb County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Lipscomb County Courthouse
PO Box 70
Lipscomb, TX 79056
County Clerk Clk has birth, marriage, divorce, probate, court
and land records from 1887, military discharge records from
1919 and naturalization records 1926-1927
1876--Lipscomb County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District. County seat: Lipscomb 
Places / Localities
Booker (partly in Ochiltree County) | Darrouzett | Follett | Higgins | Lipscomb
- Lipscomb County Cemeteries, book by LaVaun Kraft. Iinformation on each of the nine Lipscomb County cemeteries: Heart Cemetery, Kiowa Cemetery, View Point Cemetery, Darrouzett Cemetery, Fairview Cemetery, Fairmont Cemetery, Lipscomb Cemetery, St. John's Cemetery, and Higgins Cemetery; each section includes information about the origins of the cemetery with deeds and certificates, an index of the persons buried in the cemetery, a list of the information on each of the headstones in the cemetery, and a list of the veterans buried in the cemetery. Digital version online at The Portal To Texas History.
- Lipscomb County Cemeteries from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1880 Census for Lipscomb County, census images on line at archive.org; transcription from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1900 Census for Lipscomb County, census images on line at archive.org; transcription from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1910 Census for Lipscomb County, census images on line at archive.org; transcription from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1920 Census for Lipscomb County, census images on line at archive.org; transcription from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1930 Census for Lipscomb County, census images on line at archive.org; transcription from the TXGenWeb site.
Local histories are available for Lipscomb County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- A History of Lipscomb County, 1876-1976, by the Lipscomb Historical Survey Committee. Read the book on line at The Portal to Texas History.
- Lipscomb County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Lipscomb County Birth Records 1926-1993, selected years from the TXGenWeb site.
- Lipscomb County Births compiled from World War I Civilian Draft Card Registrations, from the TXGenWeb site.
- Lipscomb County Marriages 1851-1900 from the TXGenWeb site.
- Lipscomb County Deaths 1964-1998 from the TXGenWeb site.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- Wolf Creek Heritage Museum
Lipscomb, Texas 79056
Family History Centers
- Lipscomb County TXGenWeb site maps, history and other information for Lipscomb county.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lipscomb County, Texas. Page 669 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).