Linstead Magna, Suffolk Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 16:52, 15 February 2013 by Cottrells (talk | contribs) (Text replace - "== Reference ==" to "== References ==")

Jump to: navigation, search

England  Gotoarrow.png  Suffolk   Gotoarrow.png  Suffolk Parishes   Gotoarrow.png  Linstead Magna

Parish History

LINSTEAD MAGNA (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 4¾ miles (W. by S.) from Halesworth. [1]

Refer to the works listed in Suffolk Gazetteers or England Gazetteers for source material.

Resources

Civil Registration

Linstead Magna is in Blything district. To search an index of Blything district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article tells more about these records.

Church records

Parish Registers began in the 1500's. They can be viewed at the Suffolk Record Office. There are Bishop Transcripts and Parish Registers that have been filmed for most parishes in the County. See the Suffolk Church Records article for further details.

Census records

There are census records available for Linstead Magna from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Linstead Magna, England, Census in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.

Probate records

Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Linstead Magna was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District.  Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 95-98