Lincoln County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Lincoln County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Lincoln County Courthouse
115 W Main Street P O Box 218
Lincolnton, NC 28093
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death and burial and land records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records from 1920
and probate records from 1869
1778--Lincoln County was created 14 April 1778 from Tryon County. Tryon County was abolished in 1779.
County seat: Lincolnton 
Many records are missing, reason unknown.
For tips on accessing Lincoln County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
Early migration routes to and from Lincoln County for European settlers included:
- Catawba and Northern Trail pre-historic
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, usually known as the Bethel Regiment.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Lincoln County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1772-1964 - Will Books 1 to 8 (1772-1964) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Lincolnton North Carolina Family History Center (Hickory)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lincoln County, North Carolina. Page 510 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the Early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.