Difference between revisions of "Lincoln County, Kentucky Genealogy"
(→Boundary Changes: link to map)
(→Parent County: internal links)
|Line 44:||Line 44:|
==== Parent County ====
==== Parent County ====
'''1780'''--Lincoln County was created 1 May 1780
'''1780'''--Lincoln County was created 1 May 1780 KentuckyCounty (Virginia) was abolished .
'''County seat:''' Stanford <ref name="Handybook">''The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America'',10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).</ref>
==== Boundary Changes ====
==== Boundary Changes ====
Revision as of 02:30, 5 October 2011
|Lincoln County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||May 1, 1780|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 References
Lincoln County's civil records start the following years:
*Many years between 1852 and 1911 are missing
County seat: Stanford 
See an interactive map of Lincoln County boundary changes.
|Avondale (hist.)||Halls Gap||Milledgeville||South Fork|
|Broughtentown||Hustonville||Mount Salem||Thompson Store (hist.)|
|Chicken Bristle||Jumbo||Mount Zenia (hist.)||Turkeytown|
|Colliers Store (hist.)||Junction City||New Salem||Turnersville|
|Crab Orchard||Kings Mountain||Ottenheim||Walnut Flat|
|Dog Walk||Logantown||Pleasant Point (hist.)||Waynesburg|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Lincoln Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Lincoln County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists
- some records of cemeteries in Lincoln County. Some of the books or others may be on
- Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Lincoln County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
1790 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Bright] Mills, Harry W. and Ben F. Dixon.Descendants of Henry Bright, Senior, (Born 1760), of Lincoln County, Kentucky. Washington, D.C.: H.W. Mills, 1941.
- [Culbertson] Dixon, Ben F. and Alice L. Dwelle Dixon. The Family of David Culbertson of Lincoln County, Kentucky: An Historical and Genealogical Study. 1982?
- [Dawson] Mills, Harry W.Dawson Family History: Descendants of Elijah Dawson, Sr., and Sarah (Logan) Dawson, of Lincoln County, Kentucky. Typescript, 1941. Microfiche:
- [Downing] Williams, Frank L.The Downing Family from Montgomery and Bedford Counties, Virginia, to Lincoln County, Missouri, By Way of Lincoln County, Kentucky. MSS., Urbanna Free Library Archives, Illinois. Microfilmed 1978:
- [Dudderar] Newborg, Ruth Foxx Dudderar. The Dudderars from Germany to Kentucky: Being the Ancestry of John Fox Dudderar of Lincoln County, Kentucky. Marlton, N.J.: R.F.D. Newborg, 1983.
- [Helms] Helms in Lincoln County, Kentucky. No publication information.
- [Lucas] Brenneman, Richard. The Descendants of John Lucas of Casey Co., Ky. and William Lucas of Lincoln Co., Ky. San Jose, Calif.: Brenneman, 1979.
- [Lucas] Brenneman, Richard E. Lucas Family of Casey & Lincoln Cos., Kentucky and Descendants. Boston, Mass.: R.E. Brenneman, 2001.
- [McRoberts] Mills, Harry W. McRoberts Family: Some Notes on McRoberts in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Kentucky: McRoberts Family in Lincoln Coount, Ky.: A Family History Miniature. Washington, D.C.: Mills' Lettergram, 1943.
- [Reynolds] Reynolds, Lyman Foster. Reynolds: Southern Lincoln Co., Ky from 1789. n.p.: L.F. Reynolds, 1999, 2008.
- [Rogers] Irwin, Lyndon N. The Rogers Family of Paint Lick and Crab Orchard Ancestry and Descendants Joseph and Ellen Steward Rogers of Garrard, Rockcastle, and Lincoln Counties in Kentucky. Bois D'Arc, Mo.: L. Irwin, 1994.
- [Sweeney] Sweeney, J. Harvey. Moses Sweeney, 1734-1813 Descendants from Amherst County, Virginia and Lincoln County, Kentucky. Crossville, Tenn.: Sweeney Trust, 2005.
- [Warner] Reynolds, Lyman Foster.Peter Warner Born Maryland - Fredrick County: Revolutionary War Soldier (with George Washington in Capture of Trenton) to Lincoln County Kentucky 1780's, Children Settled in Kentucky; Lincoln, Garrard, Boyle, Mercer & Washington Counties; Indiana Putnam County. Louisville, Ky.: L.F. Reynolds, 2007.
- [Worrell] Worrel, Stephen William. The Descendants of William Worrell of Virginia & Kentucky from 1783 On: Being an Account of William Senior's Removal from Virginia with His Wife Barbara to the Wildes of Kentucke, and His Migration from the Dicks River in Lincoln County, North through Lebanon Village to His Final Home in Boone County, and an Account of His Descendants in the Male Line, Prefaced by Mention of Other Kentucky Pioneer Worrells. Falls Church, Va.: S.W. Worrel, 1994.
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Lincoln County land records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Lincoln County probate records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
-  Fothergill, Augusta B. and John Mark Naugle. Virginia Tax Payers, 1782-87, Other Than Those Published by the United States Census Bureau. 1940; reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1978. Available at FHL. [1787 personal property tax list of Lincoln County.]
-  Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. Available at FHL. [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Lincoln County is included in Vol. 1.]
-  Heinemann, Charles B. "First Census" of Kentucky 1790. Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1940. 1981 reprint: FHL US/CAN 976.9 X2ph 1981; digital version at Kentucky Kinfolks. ["2 volumes of 1790 were used." (p. 2)]
The Lincoln County, 1787-1805 Tax Lists are also available for purchase as digital images in PDF format on CD fromGenealogical Resources. When the PDF files are viewed in a program such as Acrobat Pro you can bookmark pages/images with year changes, ancestors names, etc. You can also drag an image/page out of Acrobat Pro and throw it into Photoshop to enhance viewing or you can just save that extracted page/image to be used as an attachment to your ancestor in whatever Record Manager (ie: Legacy, RootsMagic, etc) program you use.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Lincoln County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).