Limehouse St Anne, Middlesex Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 17:24, 28 May 2010 by SarahLowe (talk | contribs) (Parish History)

Jump to: navigation, search

England  Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Parishes Gotoarrow.png Limehouse St Anne

Parish History

LIMEHOUSE, a parish and a sub-district, in Stepney district, Middlesex. The parish lies on the N bank of the Thames, along Limehouse Reach, on the Lea or Limehouse Cut, on the Regent's canal, and on the London and Blackwall railway, 3 miles E of St. Paul's, London; forms part of the Metropolitan borough of Tower Hamlets; was included in Stepney parish till 1730; contains the Limehouse, the Regent's and ship building docks; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office and pillar-boxes under London E. It was originally called Limehurst, signifying "lime grove;" and it is said to have got that name from the existence of many lime trees on its site. The old streets are narrow and irregular; but fine wide roads lead to the E and W India docks, and to the Bow-road.

The parish suffered great injury from a fire in 1716; and much of its site, prior to that time, was occupied by market-gardens and rope-walks. Many of its inhabitants are employed in ship-building, rope-making, sail-making, chain-making, cable-making, anchor-making, block-making, and other occupations connected with the docks. The limits until 1838, included part of Ratcliff hamlet, and still politically include the chapelry of Limehouse-St. John, and parts of the chapelries of Bow-Common and Ratcliff.

Acres, 265; of which 16 are water. Real property, £76,915. Pop., exclusive of Ratcliff, in 1851, 22,782; in 1861, 27,161. Houses, 3,694. Pop. of the Limehouse-St. John portion, 9,531; of the Bow-Common portion, 1,838; of the Ratcliff portion, 1,927. The head-living, or that of Limehouse-St. Anne, is a rectory, united with the chapelries of St. Andrews and St. Peter's missions, and the other livings are p. curacies, in the diocese of London. Value, of St. Anne, with its two chapelries, £714; of St. John, £300. Patron of St. A., Brazenose College, Oxford; of St. J., the Bishop of Loudon.

St. Anne's church was built in 1724, after designs by Hawkesmoor; was one of the fifty erected by Queen Anne; is a massive structure, in the Grecian style; suffered much injury by fire in 1850; and was restored at a cost of £13,000. An Independent chapel was built in 1866; and there are several other dissenting chapels. There are also national schools endowed with £190 a year, other schools, alms houses, and other endowed charities about £140 a year; the Strangers' home for Asiatics; and the Stepney workhouse, commonly called the Children's Establishment. Limehouse Reach is the part of the Thames between Limehouse and the Isle of Dogs; has a length of about 1½ mile, and a depth of from 10 to 16 feet; and is called in its deepest part, where many foreign vessels lie, Limehouse Hole.-The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.

1. John Marius Wilson, “Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales,” (Edinburgh: A, Fullerton & Co., 1870). Online here.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Census records

Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Poor Law Unions

Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.