Licking County, Ohio Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
See an interactive map of Licking County boundary changes.
1875--The courthouse was on fire on 2 April 1875. Records in the Recorder’s, Sheriff’s, Auditors and Treasurer’s offices were saved.  The marriage records between 1829-1839 were not available possibly lost completely in the fire. Some estate records also were burned in the fire. There are gaps in records for this county. See Burned Counties.
1879--The tower of the New Licking County Courthouse caught fire, 29 Mar 1879. No records were destroyed. 
- Revolutionary War
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Licking County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Licking County.
Jacksontown Alumni Book 1890-1959. Digitized book which includes the history of the school and numerous class photos.
Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch-Historical Records. Databases include Marriage Records, 1808-1951 available at FHL, and Marriage Returns, 1875-1950 available at FHL. (For Licking County, the 1808-1951 database is variably extracted; often the Volume and Page number are not given. The "image number" in the extracts refer to the image numbers in the microfilm, not to the image numbers as uploaded to the Historical Records site. The links to on-line images in the Historical Records group for this database are wrong for at least Volumes 7 and 11, but the user can often find the wanted record by going to the next image in sequence. In Volume 7 the images are about 8 MB each, and in Volume 11 about 5 MB each, so the dial-up internet searcher should be prepared for considerable load time.)
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch-Historical Records. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased and disposition of remains.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com Newark, OH Licking County Courthouse Fire, Apr 1875 http://www3.gendisasters.com/ohio/17866/newark-oh-licking-county-courthouse-fire-apr-1875
- "A County Court House in Flames"New York Times March 30, 1879 Article.
- Licking County Research Article
- GenDisasters.com Newark, OH Licking County Courthouse Tower Fire, Mar 1879 http://www3.gendisasters.com/ohio/17867/newark-oh-licking-county-courthouse-tower-fire-mar-1879