E-mail: Contact Us Form
- The Library of Virginia
- 800 East Broad Street
- Richmond, VA 23219
Hours and holidays:
- Monday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- Please check our News & Events Calendar or contact us for any changes to our regular hours due to holiday closings, special events, or inclement weather.
Directions, maps, and public transportation:
Internet sites and databases:
- Library of Virginia Home. Contact Us, Forms, News & Events, Support the Library, About us, For The Public Section, For Localities and State Agencies Section, For Libraries & Educators Section.
- Online catalogue
Digital collections include:
- Virginia Land Office Patents and Grants
- Virginia Death Indexing
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Obituary Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Petersburg Public Library Newspaper Index
- Index to Wills and Administrations
- Bristol Church and Family Cemeteries Index
World War I
- World War I History Commission Questionnaires
- Confederate Disability Applications and Receipts
- Confederate Pension Rolls, Veterans and Widows
- Index to Confederate Veteran Magazine
- Index to Virginia Confederate Rosters
- Robert E. Lee Camp Confederate Soldiers' Home Applications for Admission
War of 1812
- Index to War of 1812 Pay Rolls and Muster Rolls
- Culpeper County Classes, 1781
- Dunmore's War (Virginia Payrolls/Public Service Claims, 1775)
- Revolutionary War Bounty Warrants
- Revolutionary War Land Office Military Certificates
- Revolutionary War Public Service Claims
- Revolutionary War Rejected Claims
- Revolutionary War Virginia State Pensions
European Sources about Virginians
- Virginia Colonial Records Project
Coats of Arms
- Index to Sources on Family Coats of Arms
- S. Bassett French Biographical Sketches
- WPA Life Histories Collection
Has a map collection, Virginia Land Office Patents and Grants, Dunmore's War Collection, and Blandford Cemetery Survey Records Collection.
- To order materials by mail or fax, please print and complete the applicable forms from the categories listed below, and return them to the Library of Virginia with payment. A fee of $25.00 is charged for all returned checks.
- Fax orders: 804-692-3556
- When planning a trip to the Richmond area, we recommend you check out the Richmond Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau. Please also check our calendar to ensure the Library will be open and available to the public during your planned visit.
These items are available: Research guides; Newspapers guides; Census Records Guides; and Using the Library of Virginia Collections Guides.
If you cannot visit or find a record at the Library of Virginia, a similar record may be available at one of the following.
- Family History Library, Salt Lake City, 450 computers, 3,400 databases, 3.1 million microforms, 4,500 periodicals, 310,000 books of worldwide family and local histories, civil, church, immigration, ethnic, military, Mormon records.
- Allen County Public Library (Indiana) has a premier genealogical periodical collection, genealogies, local histories, databases, military, censuses, directories, passenger lists, American Indians, African Americans, Canadians.
- Virginia Historical Society, .
- National Archives I, Washington DC, census, pre-WWI military service & pensions, passenger lists, naturalizations, passports, federal bounty land, homesteads, bankruptcy, ethnic sources, prisons, and federal employees.
- Daughters of the American Revolution Library, Washington DC, Revolutionary War and colonial period, including family and local histories, cemetery transcriptions, Bible records, 15,000 genealogical membership applications.
- Maryland State Archives, census, court, church, vital, military, probate, land, tax, immigration, naturalizations.