| Library and Archives Canada
Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- 395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N4
613-996-5115 or 1-866-578-7777 (toll-free in Canada and the US)
TTY: 613-992-6969 or 1-866-299-1699 (toll-free in Canada)
Hours and holidays:
- Registration Desk (Ground floor)
Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Closed on Statutory Holidays
- Canadian Genealogy Centre (3rd floor)
Monday 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Tuesday 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Wednesday 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Saturday/Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Map, parking, and public transportation:
- Map. Online map.
- Parking. There are paid parking spaces for Library and Archives Canada visitors on the west side of the building. Also, there are public parking lots and some metered street parking nearby.
- Public Transit.
- Ottawa's OC Transpo take any bus travelling on Wellington, Albert, Slater, Queen or Bank streets.
- Gatineau's STO take any bus travelling on Wellington Street in Ottawa.
Internet sites and databases:
- LAC Internet Site discover the collection, genealogy and family history, censuses, military records, research by topics, copies and visiting, services and programs, forum, news, photo gallery.
- Genealogy and Family Hisory how-to-begin, birth, marriages, deaths, census, immigration, military, land, and employment records.
Canadian national (or regional) databases and collections which include millions of books, newspapers, and periodicals, 21.3 million photos, 343,000 works of art about topics like genealogy and family history, portraits, aboriginal peoples, biographies, censuses, citizenship, disasters, ethno-cultural groups, educational resources, exploration, film and broadcasting, immigration, literature, land records, maps, military, music and performing arts, Canadian national identity, philately and postal history, politics and government, roads, canals, and railroads, settlement, sports, births, marriages, deaths, and divorces.
- Genealogy and Family History how-to-begin, vital records (see following bullet entry), census, immigration, military, land, and employment records
- Births, Marriages and Deaths in church/civil records, adoptions, cemeteries, divorces, and wills
The LAC has dozens of research aids. For example, some of interest to genealogists include:
If you cannot visit or find a source at the Library and Archives Canada, a similar source may be available at one of the following.
- American-Canadian Genealogical Society
- [www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/index.html Hudson's Bay Company Archives]
- [www.cprheritage.com/ Canadian Pacific Railway Archives]
- Family History Library, Salt Lake City, 450 computers, 3,400 databases, 3.1 million microforms, 4,500 periodicals, 310,000 books of worldwide family and local histories, civil, church, immigration, ethnic, military, including many Canadian records.
- Provincial Archives
- Newberry Library
Carleton Centre for the History of Migration [www.carleton.ca/cchm/] Centre d'études acadiennes [www.umoncton.ca/etudeacadiennes/centre/cea.html] (Disponible en français seulement) Institut d'études canadiennes, Université d'Ottawa [www.canada.uottawa.ca/en/] Programme de recherche en démographie historique, Université de Montréal [www.genealogie.umontreal.ca/en/main.htm]
- Ontario Prov
- Quebec Prov
Bibliothèque nationale du Québec [www.banq.qc.ca/]
- Allen County Public Library (Indiana) has a premier genealogical periodical collection, genealogies, local histories, databases, military, censuses, directories, passenger lists, American Indians, African Americans, Canadians.
- New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, national scope, 100 million name databases, 200,000 books, 100,000 microfilms, 20 million manuscrpt pages, vital records, periodicals for U.S., Canada, & Britsh Isles.
- Newberry Library a large Chicago repository with genealogies, local histories, censuses, military, land, indexes, vital records, court, and tax records mostly from the Mississippi Valley, eastern seaboard, Canada, & British Isles.