Lethbridge Alberta Family History Centre
|This Family History Centre article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Review the instructions and guidelines for FHC pages.
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Lethbridge Alberta Family History Center provides knowledge and resources to patrons to help them find there ancestors.
- 1 Centre Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Centre Resources
- 3.1 Collections
- 3.2 Major collections at the Lethbridge FHC
- 3.3 Books and Gazatteers
- 3.4 Maps and Atlas
- 3.5 Microfilm
- 3.6 Microfiche
- 3.7 CD's
- 3.7.1 North American Vital Records Index
- 3.7.2 Australian Vital Records Index
- 3.7.3 1851 British Census
- 3.7.4 British Vital Records Index
- 3.7.5 British 1881 Census and Index
- 3.7.6 Mormon Immigration Index
- 3.7.7 Western Europe Vital Records Index
- 3.7.8 Pedigree Resource File (20 CD's) and Indexes
- 3.7.9 Family Registry
- 3.7.10 Accelerated Indexing System
- 3.7.11 Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
- 3.8 Databases and Software
- 3.9 Hardware and Equipment
- 4 Centre Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Centre
Centre Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 1912 - 10th Avenue South
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada T1K 0B7
Phone # 1-403-328-0206
- Please use the South entrance.
- (Link to map using Google or other map sites)
Open Hours: Fall, Winter and Spring hours
Mondays 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesdays 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Wednesdays 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Thursdays 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Saturdays 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
June 7th - August 31st
Tuesdays 9:00 a.m - 1:00 p.m.
Wednesdays 1:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Calendar and Events
Lethbridge Family History Centre annual conference - October 2011
Wednesday May 4 - 2 p.m. How to Gather and Evaluate your Ancestors Genealogical Data - Instructor - Monta Salmon
Staff Training Meetings
Consultant Staff training meetings are the first thursday of every month @ 7:00 pm except during the holiday schedule.
- Family History Library Catalog: This centre has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Major collections at the Lethbridge FHC
Index to passenger lists of ships into Halifax and Quebec 1865-1900
Index Upper Canada Marriage Bonds (film) 1803 - 1845 (pa-z)
Soundex Border Crossings 1895-1954 - microfilms of border crossing records from Canada into the U.S. 1895 - 1954
Federal Census for all Provinces in Canada
1851 - complete for all Provinces
1861 - complete for all Provinces
1871 - complete except for Quebec
1881 - complete except for Quebec
1891 - complete except for Quebec
1901 - complete for all Provinces
Microfilm of certificates and Indexes
Marriages 1873-1913(part of)
Marriage Bonds 1803 - 1845, 1865 - Microfilm
Marriage Index 1873-1912
Some early Marriage records 1801-1848 - Microfilm
County Marriage Registry 1858-1869 - Book
Birth Indexes 1869 - 1922
Delayed Registration of Births 1860-1899
Deaths (Reg. & Index) 1869-1924
Deaths 1869-1923 (part of)
Several 1800's county maps with histories of people
Land Records Index - Microfilm
1871 Census Index - books
Federal census 1851, 1861, and 1871, 1881 and 1891
Microfiche for the following cemeteries:
Trinty Lutheran Cemetery, Huron co.
St. Ambrose Roman Catholic Cemetery, Huron Co.
Abandoned Pres. Cemetery, Wroxeter, Ont.
Anglican Cemetery Howick twp.
Hayden Methodist Cemetery, Howick Twp,
Baptist Abandoned Pioneer Cemetery, Howick Twp.
Abandoned Old Hunter Cemetery, Howick Twp.
Church of the Annunciation Cemetery, Frontenac, Ont.
Lanark Co. probate Rec. 1871 - 1902 (film)
Ont. Surrogate Court 1837 - 1902 Ind 1848 - 1968
County Histories - book
Nova Scotia Immigrants to 1867 - book
Federal Census 1851, 1861, 1881 and 1901
Vital Statistics form N.B. Newspapers 1784-1878 - books
Federal Census 1851, 1861, 1891 and 1901
Re Cueil De Genealogies - Gazateer
Beauce-Dorchester-Frontenac 1625-1946 (ll Volumes)
Genealogies-Montmagny, L'islet, Bellechasse (16 Volumes)
Tanquay's Dictionnaire Genealogique (109 Fiche)
Federal Census 1851, 1861, 1901
Laiselle Index to Quebec Marriages (11 films)
1881 census for Lotbiniere Co., Montreal City, Argenteul Co., Pontiac Co.
1891 Census Argenteuil Dist., Yamaska District
England and Wales: Births, Marriages, Death microfiche Indexes
Births 1837-1926 (more to come)
Marriages 1837-1928 (more to come)
Deaths 1837-1933 (more to come)
Boyd's Marriage Index 1538-1837 (7 microfilms)
English Probate Indexes
1891 Census England, Wales, Channel Islands, Isle of Man
1881 Census England, Scotland, Wales, Channel Islands, Isle of Man - microfiche - county indexed 5 ways: (1)by surname (2)by birthplace (3)by census place(4)as enumerated (5)list of ships list of institutions, miscellaneous
1851 Census Index for Warwickshire
1841-1881 Census Street Index
Calendar of Wills 1858-1876
Marriage Licence Index Vicar Gen. 1660-1921
Index Marriage Licence (Faculty Office) 1632-1955
Society of Friends, Channel Islands (film)
Civil Registry microfiche Index
Parochial Registry for Scotland
Scotland Church Records (see under Family Search)
Irish Marriage Licence microfilm Index 1623-1866
Householders microfilm Index
Irish Passenger lists 1847-1871 (book)
Irish landowners 1876 (book)
Hamburg Germany Passenger list Index 1855-1934
Gazetteer for Prussia (13 Volumes)
Large Divisional Maps of Poland
30 general reference books for Germany
Parish Record Grassard Co., Sweden
Parish Register Jerichow, Sachsen, Germany
Accelerated Index System (searches 1-7A) Microfiche
Surname Index of Tax Lists and Census records for the U.S
Social Security Death Index - On Family Search
Passenger and Immigration Lists Index (15 Volumes)
Numerous films and 144 general reference books and 62 books for various states
Film 1900 Federal census Missouri
Film 1880 census Ogle Co., Illinois
Film 1880 census Stephenson Co., Illinois
Film 1880 census Boone Co., Illinois
Enumeration Districts 1880 Census (film)
Army Register, Ohio Volunteers, Civil War 1861-1865(Fiche)
Roster of Ohio Soldiers in Civil War 1861-1866, 1846-1848(fiche)
Victoria, Australia Microfiche Index
Birth 1853 - 1895
Marriage 1853 - 1895
Death 1853 - 1895
Early Church Records 1828 - 1844
Index to Early Church Birth, Marriage and Deaths
1853-1895 Victoria, Australia
Alberta Ward Records
Crossing the Ocean Index 1840-1925
1966 Series 4 Generation Sheets
LDS Census 1914-1920, 1925, 1930, 1935
LDS Immigration from England 1875-1913
Church Memberships 1830-1848 (95 Fiche)
Archive Records - Family Group Sheets on Microfiche
History of the Church on Microfiche
Some Utah Ward Records
Some English Branch Records
Mormon Pioneers Crossing the Plains
Books and Gazatteers
The Lethbridge Family History Center has an extensive collection of resource books and localhistory books. They are as follows:
- 583 Parish Registry books of England. This information can also be found on some of the films which are located in our library.
- England: British Isles general reference 83, counties of England 599, Ireland 23, Scotland 31.
- Canada: general reference 31, Alberta 50, New Brunswick 16, Nova Scotia 27, Ontario 27, Quebec 41, as well as many other books for other provinces.
- There are 147 general genealogy reference books
- There are also general reference books for all countries of the world including one on Jewish research.
- The Library has 18 L.D.S reference books
- Total general reference books for U.S.A. are 144, also 6 for Native Races and 62 reference books forU.S. States.
- 30 reference books on Germany
- A number of gazateers
- Genealogical Research Directories 1885 - 1996
- History Books of Southern Alberta
Maps and Atlas
The Family History Center has an excellent collection of maps for most countries of the world, which include Ireland, England, Europe, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Denmark Sweden, Netherlands, Iceland, and Norway.
- 14 maps of Germany
- English Shire maps
- Scotland Shire maps
- Reg. and Census district maps of England
- 17 Ordnance Survey Maps - U.K.
- 62 maps of England, Wales and Scotland
- Atlas of States in U.S.
- Historical Atlas for Canada, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, and Numerous Counties of Ontario
The Family History Center has 10 film readers and over 10,000 microfilms.
There is a large collection of films for Scotland, particularly Aberdeen County. There are a total of 1117 films for all of Scotland (including Aberdeen) which include marriage, birth, death, census, and baptism records. Parish Registers and histories are also on film.
Films on each county of England may contain census records, Parish Registers marriages, birth, death.
The Family History Center has films for almost every country of the world including: Ireland, Wales, Germany, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Sweden, every state in the U.S.A., Switzerland, Ukraine, Mexico, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, every province in Canada, Asia, and of course England and Scotland. These films could include marriage, birth, death, census records and much more.
The Family History Center has an extensive collection of microfiche (l0,000) and six microfiche readers. Besides part of our major collection of resources on microfiche, we also have the following:
- The most used 200 reference books
- I.G.I. for England, Wales, Europe, Mexico, South America, South West Pacific, Asia, Africa, South Africa, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, U.S.A. and Canada.
- Accelerated Indexing System (searches 1 - 7A) 1607-1906 Each index covers at least a ten year period and several states<
- Ontario Land Records
- England and Wales index marriages 1904-1940, deaths for 1904-1940 and birth 1904-1940
- Victoria Australia Index - births 1853-1895, deaths 1853-1895, and marriages1853-1895 early church records (all churches).
- 1891 census for England, Wales, Channel Islands, Island of Man
- Family History Library Catalogue
- Parish Listing and Vital Records
North American Vital Records Index
More than 4.6 million christenings, births, and marriages that occurred in the United States and Canada from about 1700 to 1888.
Australian Vital Records Index
Index to records from New South Wales (1788-1888, Tasmania (1803-1899), Victoria (1837-1888), and Western Australia (1841-1905). It does not include information from Queensland, South Australia, and the Northern Territory. The index contains about 4.5 million records of births, christenings, marriages, and deaths. It includes the name, year, age, parents or spouse, date and place of the event, and an index reference that can be used to obtain a certificate from the state civil registration office.
1851 British Census
Index to the census records of Devon, Norfolk, and Warwick counties only. About 1.5 million names were transcribed from original census returns. The index lists a person's name, relationship to head of household, sex, age, occupation, birthplace, and residence. Families are listed as they were enumerated in the actual census.
British Vital Records Index
Information on more than 4.7 million christenings, births, and marriages that occurred in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland from 1500 to 1888. This information came from British church and vital records collected as a part of the Church's extraction program. The amount of information varies greatly by time period and locality.
British 1881 Census and Index
Contains over 30 million individuals from England, Wales, and Scotland.
Mormon Immigration Index
The Mormon Immigration Index is a database of approximately 93,000 immigrants who traveled from various international ports to the United States between the years 1840 and 1890. Information in this database includes the age, country of origin, ports of departure and arrival, the company leader assigned to each voyage, and general voyage information. This index also contains transcriptions of autobiographies, journals, diaries, and letters of approximately 1,000 passengers. These immigrant accounts are linked to over 500 known LDS companies and provide a composite account of those who crossed the Atlantic and Pacific oceans to gather in Zion. Other people who took part of these voyages, but who were not members of the LDS Church are also listed in this index.
Western Europe Vital Records Index
12 million names for Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Baden, Bavaria, Hessen-Darmstadt, Lippe-Detmold, Oldenburg, Prussia, Turingia, Wurtemberg, Italy, and Spain.
Pedigree Resource File (20 CD's) and Indexes
The Pedigree Resource File contains family history records submitted by individuals through the FamilySearch® Internet Genealogy Service. Family information is organized in family groups and pedigrees, similar to how it is displayed in Ancestral File™. However, the Pedigree Resource File displays each submitter's information exactly as it was submitted, not combined with information from other submitters, as is done in Ancestral File. Notes and sources are also displayed. Over one million individuals are included on each CD.
The Family Registry is a microfiche file consisting of:
A registry of names that people are working on
Their addresses or means of contacting them
Registry of family organizations or people wanting to start a family organization.
Accelerated Indexing System
The Accelerated Indexing Systems (AIS) is a commercial company that indexes genealogical records. The microfiche version of the AIS U.S. Census indexes was published in 1984. It is distributed by the Family History Library, with permission of AIS, for use in the Family History Centers.
The Accelerated Indexing Systems indexes are alphabetical listings of some of the people living in the United States between 1607 and 1906. These listings were compiled from the United States census records and other records. There are a total of eight searches in all.
Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
The Lethbridge Family History Center has a large collection of books, biographies and histories regarding the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. There are many decendents of the Utah Pioneers living in Southern Alberta. Some of the information regarding the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers has been written by these decendents and is contained in the following books and biographies.
- Chronicles of Courage Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4
- An Enduring Legacy - Volumes 1 - 12
- Our Pioneer Heritage - Volumes 18, 19
- Numerous biographies and Town Histories
- Numerous Personal Histories
- Booklets - Pioneer by Train to Alberta Plains Volumes 1, 2
Databases and Software
FHC Portal: This centre has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. These websites include:
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- World Vital Records
- The Genealogist.co.uk
- Find My Past
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archives
- Heritage Quest Online
- Alexander Street Press
- Historical Maps Works Library Edition
- Family History Link
- Ancestry Institution
- American Ancestors - New England Historic Genealogical Society
Hardware and Equipment
- 15 computers
- 14 microfilm readers
- 3 microfiche readers
- 2 printers
- 2 photocopy machines
- 1 film copier
- Screen capture software (used to copy images from computers for printing or saving to flash drives)
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
The Lethbridge Family History Center has a collection of Microsoft PowerPoint presentations that have been created by Family History Consultants who have specific expertise. These PowerPoints can be viewed only on computers at the center and contain the following topics:
Volunteer at the Centre
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)