Lee County, Texas Genealogy
|Lee County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||April 14, 1874|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
PO Box 419
Giddings, TX 78942
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903
marriage, probate, court and land records from 1874;
District Clerk has divorce records)
Lee County has had two courthouses. The first one, a two-story courthouse completed in 1878, burned in 1897. The second and current courthouse, a Romanesque Revival structure, designed by famed San Antonio courthouse architect James Riely Gordon, was built in 1899. The courthouse is still in use today.
Inventory of county records, Lee County Courthouse, Giddings, Texas, 1975 by Charles R. Schultz and Mary Pearson. Describes the records of the County Clerk, County Attorney, District Clerk, Justice of the Peace, Tax Assessor-Collector, Sheriff, Treasurer, County Surveyor, and School Superintendent. Read the book on line from the Portal to Texas History.
1897 -- The Lee County Courthouse, built in 1878, burned in 1897.
Places / Localities
Beaukiss | Dime Box | Giddings | Hills | Lexington | Lincoln | Old Dime Box | Serbin
- Texas African American Griots ~ USGenWeb
- AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy
- Texas African American Genealogy ~ Access Genealogy
- Giddings Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Lawhon Springs Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Mundine Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Lee County Cemetery Index from the Lee County TXGenWeb site.
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
1880 Federal Census Transcription ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
Original Land Owners of Texas ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Lee County: Historical and Descriptive, 1945 by Julia Jones.
- A History of Lee County, 1974, by Lee County Historical Survey Committee.
- History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties, 1893. Digital book online from the Portal to Texas History.
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Lee County 1888 from Historic Map Works.
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Confederate Pension Application Index ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 Texas Death Index (FamilySearch Historical Records) Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Giddings Public Library
276 N Orange St
Giddings, TX 78942
Phone: (979) 542-2716
Black Bridge Library
1079 Sf Austin Blvd
Dime Box, TX 77853
Phone: (979) 884-0124
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- Lee County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Lee County ~ TXGenWeb
- Lee County TXGenWeb site
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handbook of Texas Online: Lee County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcl06