Le Flore County, Oklahoma Genealogy
Le Flore County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Le Flore County, Oklahoma|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Founded||July 16, 1907|
|Address|| Le Flore County Courthouse|
100 S. Broadway Street
Poteau, Oklahoma 74953-0607
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Le Flore County Courthouse
100 S Broadway Street
Poteau, OK 74953-0607
Clerk Court has marriage records from 1898,
divorce, probate and court records from 1907;
County Clerk has land records
1907--Le Flore County was created 16 July 1907 from Choctaw Lands.
County seat: Poteau 
- Polk County, Arkansas
- Scott County, Arkansas
- Sebastian County, Arkansas
Royal Oak Cemetery (Poker Bend)
For tips on accessing Le Flore County, Oklahoma Genealogy census records online, see: Oklahoma Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
Royal Oak Free Will Baptist Church
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Oklahoma Land and Property for additional information about early Oklahoma land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Le Flore County, Oklahoma Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Oklahoma Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Le Flore County, Oklahoma Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Flore+county+Oklahoma+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a Le Flore County, Oklahoma Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Le Flore County, Oklahoma. Page 560 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).