Lawrence County, South Dakota Genealogy
Lawrence County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Lawrence County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||January 11, 1875|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Lawrence County Courthouse
644 Main Street
Deadwood, SD 57732
Register of Deeds has birth records from 1905
and death records from 1906; County Treasurer
has marriage records from 1887; Clerk Court has
divorce, probate, court, and land records from 1895;
City Auditor has burial records
1875--Lawrence County was created 11 January 1875 from unorganized territory.
County seat: Deadwood 
Mount Moriah Cemetery, Deadwood BillionGraves
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Lawrence County, South Dakota, p.625
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).