Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy
|Lawrence County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 14, 1821|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Lawrence County's civil records start the following years:
*Records available for these years only: 1852-1859, 1874-1878, 1903-1908. Statewide registration begain 1911.
Lawrence County Courthouse
122 S Main Cross Street
Louisa, KY 41230;
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1822 and probate records 1822-1977.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce records
|Adams||Elm Grove (hist.)||Kise (hist.)||Skaggs|
|Blaine||Fisher Town (hist.)||Lowmansville||Terryville|
|Brows Defeat (hist.)||Fullers||Mazie||Ulysses|
|Chapman||Glenwood||Overda||Webbs Mill (hist.)|
|Charley||Green Valley (hist.)||Patrick||Wilbur|
|Cherokee||Greenwood (hist.)||Peach Orchard||Yatesville|
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family History/Trees, GEDCOM files, etc
Cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Lawrence County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Lawrence Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Lawrence County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Lawrence County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Access Genealogy, Lawrence County, Kentucky Cemetery Records
- Cemeteries, Lawrence County, Kentucky
- Cemeteries of Lawrence County, Kentucky
- Linkpendium Cemeteries
- The Tombstone Transcription Project-Lawrence County Kentucky
For tips on accessing Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
Lawrence County Military Records
Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy Trails-Lawrence County, Kentucky Pensioners
Lawrence County, Kentucky Veterans
Lawrence County, Kentucky World War II Casualities, Army and Airforce
List of Revelutionary War Pensioners
- 1821-1914 - Will Books 1 to 3 (1821-1914) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
GenealogyBuff.com: Miscellaneous Lawrence County, Kentucky Marriages 1822-1854
Lawrence County KY Archives: Death & Obituary Index Table
Lawrence County Kentucky Marriage Index
Lawrence County, Kentucky Transcribed Deaths...
Marriages and Announcement-Genealogy Trails, Lawrence County, Kentucky
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Lawrence County, KY Archives Project
- Lawrence County KYGenWeb
- Lawrence County, KY Genealogy Forum
- Family History Library Catalog
- Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Laurel County, Kentucky page 272, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).