Lathom St James, Lancashire Genealogy
Lathom St James was a district church created in 1851 from, and lying within the boundaries of Ormskirk, Lancashire ancient parish. Other places in the parish include: Newbrough, Westhead, and Newburgh. The church was later referred to as Westhead St James due to it's location.
Lathom and Burscough was an urban district in the county of Lancashire from 1894 to 1931. It constituted the civil parishes of Burscough and Lathom, and apart from these two villages also included Newburgh.
Lathom Local Government District was formed in 1872 when the parish of Lathom adopted the Local Government Act 1858, and a local board was formed to govern the area. In February 1894 the parish of Burscough was added to the local board's area. The area of the local board was subsequently reconstituted as an urban district by the Local Government Act 1894 as Lathom and Burscough, and an elected urban district council replaced the local board.
In 1931 the Lathom and Burscough Urban District was abolished under a County Review Order, and its area added to an enlarged Ormskirk Urban District.
Westhead St James Church , Vicarage Lane, Westhead is in the Diocese of Liverpool (previously the diocese of Chester) Ormskirk deanery.
"LATHOM, a township with a district chapel, in the parish and union of Ormskirk, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles northeast by east of Ormskirk. A domestic chapel, in Lathom Park, was restored in 1810."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
Lathom chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Ormskirk to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|LATHAM PARK CHAPEL Chapelry (1929) Indexes|
|ORMSKIRK ST PETER & ST PAUL|
|FREG||1557-1901 var. yrs||1557-1901 var. yrs||1557-1901 var.yrs|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Lathom and comprising the whole ancient parish of Ormskirk to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the ORMSKIRK ST PETER PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 30-33. Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2010.