Larimer County, Colorado Genealogy
Guide to Larimer County Colorado genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Larimer County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||November 1, 1861|
|County Seat||Fort Collins|
|Address|| Larimer County Courthouse|
200 W Oak Street
PO Box 1190
Fort Collins, CO 80522-1190
Larimer County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Resources
- 4 Repositories
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1862;
County Health Department has birth and death records
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
Fort Collins 
Clerk and Recorder 200 W. Oak Street, First Floor, Fort Collins, CO 80521
- Larimer County Cemetery Records - US Gen Web Archives
- Colorado State Cemetery Records - I Dream of Genealogy, Scroll/Browse to Larimer County
- Larimer County Cemetery Records - findagrave
- Larimer County Cemetery Map - findagrave
- Larimer County Cemetery Links - linkpendium
- Virginia Dale Community Church Cemetery, Livermore BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Larimer County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Fort Collins
Larimer County Mothers' Compensation Records 1920-1933. An Index compiled from the offical record of the applications granted by the Larimer County Commissioners during these years. Record may show the following:
- Name of Applicant
- Date and Amount of Compensation payment
- Any adjustments to the pension
- Person's age
- Town nearest to where they lived
- Other Actions done by the County.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Larimer County, Colorado Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Place Search for the county.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
The Larimer County Vital Statistics Office is on the first floor of the Fort Collins Office of the Department of Health and Environment, at 1525 Blue Spruce Drive, Fort Collins, CO, 80524-2004. http://www.larimer.org/health/admin/vital.asp
See also the Colorado State Archives, Historical Records Index.
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
For in-state births from 1900 to present, certificates can be obtained from Larimer Vital Statistics office. For birth certificates before 1900 contact the County where the birth occurred or the State Health Department at (303) 756-4464.
If you are obtaining a birth certificate for a sibling, parent, grandparent, etc., you will need to show chain of relationship. Examples are: A sibling could provide their birth certificate to show same parents. If you are trying to get a grandparent's birth certificate you will need to show your birth certificate, plus your parent's birth certificate to show chain of relationship. If you have questions on this please call our office at 970-498-6710.
The Larimer County Recorder's office will search their indexes if you call or come in to the office. If a record is found, a copy can be purchased in person or by mail. Call (303) 413-7770
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
To obtain a recent death certificate, you must show a direct and tangible interest to the deceased. Relatives include wife, mother, father, child (if they are listed on the death certificate). If they are not listed on the death certificate they must show proof of relationship. This would include maternal grandparents, paternal grandparents, siblings if they can prove chain of relationship.
All divorces and divorce records are handled by the Larimer County Courts. Please contact their office directly at (970) 494-3500 or visit http://www.larimer.org/courts/
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Berthoud Colorado Family History Center
- Fort Collins Colorado Family History Center
- Longmont Colorado Family History CenterLoveland Colorado Family History Center
- Loveland Colorado Family History Center
- Berthoud Public Library
236 Welch Ave
Berthoud, CO 80513
Phone: (970) 532-2757
- Estes Valley Public Library District
335 E Elkhorn Ave
Estes Park, CO 80517
Phone: (970) 586-8116
- Fort Collins Regional Library District
201 Peterson Street
Fort Collins, CO 80524
Phone: (970) 221-6740
- Loveland Public Library
300 N Adams Avenue
Loveland, CO 80537
Phone: (970) 962-2665
Website [http://www.lovelandpubliclibrary.org/ www.lovelandpubliclibrary.org/
- Wellington Public Library
3800 Wilson Ave
Wellington, CO 80549
Phone: (970) 568-3040
- Red Feather Mountain Library District
71 Firehouse Lane
Red Feather Lakes, CO 80545
Phone: (970) 881-2664
Larimer County Genealogical Society
P. O. Box 270737
Fort Collins, Colorado 80527-0737
- Family History Library Catalog
- Larimer County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Larimer County - CO Gen Web Site
- Larimer County - US Gen Web Archives
- Larimer County - Rootsweb Site
- Larimer County - ancestry.com resources - $ requires ancestry.com subscription
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Larimer County, Colorado. Page 99 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov