Lancaster County, Nebraska Genealogy
Lancaster County, Nebraska genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Lancaster County, Nebraska|
Location in the state of Nebraska
Location of Nebraska in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1855|
|Address|| Lancaster County Courthouse|
555 S. 10th Street
Lincoln, Nebraska 68508
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Cities and Villages
- A transcription of Wyuka Cemetery (Lincoln, NE) Interments 1877 to February 1881 is available online at http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/services/refrence/la_pubs/Those_Who_Slumber.pdf
- Calvary Cemetery, Lincoln
- Malcolm Cemetery, Malcolm
- St. Paul's Cemetery, Elk, also known as St. Paul's Lutheran Cemetery.
- Waverly Cemetery, Waverly
For tips on accessing Lancaster County, Nebraska Genealogy census records online, see: Nebraska Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Nebraska denominations, view the Nebraska Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Nebraska Land and Property for additional information about early Nebraska land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
In most counties in Nebraska, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Nebraska - Adams - Probate records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Lancaster County Genealogy (Nebraska Genealogy)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lancaster County, Nebraska page 432, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).