Lamar County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Lamar County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
This page adopted by Betsy Mills, Lamar County, TXGenWeb County Coordinator
- 1 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Lamar County Courthouse
119 North Main Street
Paris, TX 75460-4265
County Clerk has birth and death records
from 1903, marriage, probate, court, and
land records 1843; District Clerk has divorce
The area of present Lamar County was within the boundaries of Red River County at the time of the Republic of Texas. By 1840, population growth necessitated a new county, and legislation was introduced by representatives from Red River County. Wright, who had served in the Third Congress as a representative from Red River County, was a major promoter of the founding of Lamar County, which was established by act of the Fifth Congress of the republic on December 17, 1840, and organized by election on February 1, 1841. At the time, the county included much of what is now Delta County. In 1870, Delta County was formed, and Lamar County was reduced to its present size.
See an interactive map of Lamar County border changes.
1916--Most records of the district clerk were destroyed in a courthouse fire in March 1916. Birth, death and marriage records were not lost.
Places / Localities
- Lamar County, TX Death and Cemetery Records - huge database for every known cemetery in Lamar County with lots of extra information.
- Wikipedia has a list of online newspaper archives for Texas.
- The Paris News
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has The Paris News from 1925 that covered local news on Lamar County residents.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 Texas, Death Index, 1964-1998 (FamilySearch Historical Records) Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- Lamar County Genealogical Society
- Lamar County Genealogical Society Library
1125 Bonham St.
Paris, TX 75460
in the old Santa Fe Depot
Family History Centers
- Lamar County, TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lamar County, Texas. Page 668 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).