Lake County, Ohio Genealogy
|Lake County, Ohio|
Location in the state of Ohio
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Lake County Courthouse|
47 N. Park Place
Painesville, Ohio 44077
Lake County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Church Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.8 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.9 Gazetteers
- 2.10 Genealogy
- 2.11 History
- 2.12 Land and Property
- 2.13 Maps
- 2.14 Military
- 2.15 Newspapers
- 2.16 Obituaries
- 2.17 Periodicals
- 2.18 Probate Records
- 2.19 Public Records
- 2.20 Repositories
- 2.21 Taxation
- 2.22 Vital Records
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 Places
- 5 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Cuyahoga and Geauga Counties 6 March 1840.
- County Seat: Painesville
- Neighboring Counties: Lake County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Geauga (south) · Ashtabula (east) · Cuyahoga (southwest)
See an interactive map of Lake County boundary changes.
Lake County OHGenWeb at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohlake
See History Hall . . . at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohlcgs
Business Records and Commerce
Lake County Cemeteries and Index of names.
- Leroy Cemetery, Painesville BillionGraves
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Naturalization Records - An Alphabetical Abstract of the naturalization petitions from Lake County Probate Court (1860-1906) and Lake County Common Pleas Court (1906-1975). This includes Declarations of Intention and petitions that failed for a variety of reasons. Naturalizations between 1840 and 1860 were done in a variety of courts, which will be abstracted later.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Lake County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Lake County.
- Select issues ofEvening and Morning Star available at BYU's Digital Collections. Click on newspaper in box on right.
- Painesville Telegraph and Telegraph=Republican available at http://news.google.com/newspapers
Index 1822-current available at http://www.MorleyLibrary.org >Genealogy > Obit Index
Probate records 1840-1902 browseable on FamilySearch, not complete
Lake County Courthouse
47 North Park Place
Painesville, OH 44077-3414
Clerk Court has court records from 1840
25 North Park Place
Painesville, OH 44077
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records
25 North Park Place, rear
Painesville, OH 44077
County Recorder has land records
105 Main Street
Painesville, OH 44077
Family History Centers
Morley Library--Best collection of local genealogical materials.
Lake County History Center http://www.lakehistory.org
Lake County Genealogical Society This site contains links to their projects, which have a lot of information in them.
Births1867-1908 now searchable on FamilySearch
Marriages - Lake County Probate Marriage Records Index 1840-1915 Marriages 1840-1952 now searchable at FamilySearch
Death records 1867-1908 now searchable on FamilySearch
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, widowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- Family History Library Catalog
- http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohlake - The GenWeb site has many databases, biographies, vital records, etc.
- http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohlake/vitalrec/probateb.html - Lake County birth records 1867-1908.
- http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohlcgs - The Lake County Genealogical Society projects page with the cemetery inscriptions, naturalizations and other information.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- Wikipedia contributors, "Lake County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).