Lafayette County, Missouri Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 10:05, 2 August 2011 by Larry0011
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Museums
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
Archives and Libraries
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has burial records for the Missouri Veterans Cemetery at Higginsville, Mo and other veterans cemeteries around the country.
The Confederate Home Cemetery in Higginsville, Mo is not available at this site, but records submitted by the general public are available on Find A Grave.com.
- Map of Lafayette County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Lafayette County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Records of the Missouri Confederate Pension Applications and Soldiers Home Applications for the Missouri Confederate Home in Higginsville are available online from FamilySearch.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Sedalia newspapers from the late 1800's and early 1900's that sometimes included Lafayette County residents.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Museums
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).