La Plata County, Colorado Genealogy
Guide to La Plata County Colorado genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|La Plata County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||February 10, 1874|
|Address|| La Plata County Courthouse|
1060 E 2nd Ave
Durango, CO 81301-5157
La Plata County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 2.1 County Seat
- 2.2 Parent County
- 2.3 Neighboring Counties
- 2.4 Record Loss
- 2.5 Resources
- 2.5.1 Bible Records
- 2.5.2 Biography
- 2.5.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.5.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5.5 Census
- 2.5.6 Church Records
- 2.5.7 Court Records
- 2.5.8 Directories
- 2.5.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.5.10 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.5.11 Gazetteers
- 2.5.12 Genealogy
- 2.5.13 History
- 2.5.14 Land and Property
- 2.5.15 Maps
- 2.5.16 Military
- 2.5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.5.18 Newspapers
- 2.5.19 Obituaries
- 2.5.20 Periodicals
- 2.5.21 Probate
- 2.5.22 Public Records
- 2.5.23 Repositories
- 2.5.24 Taxation
- 2.5.25 Vital Records
- 2.6 Places
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 References
- 5 References
County Clerk has marriage records from 1878 and land records from 1876;
Clerk District Court has divorce and probate records; County Court has court
records; San Juan Basin Health Department has birth, death and burial records
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
Business Records and Commerce
- Allison Tiffany
- Crestview Memorial Garden
- Hay Gulch
- Ignacio East
- Ignacio West
- La Boca
- La Posta
- Ouray Memorial
- Three Rivers
For tips on accessing La Plata County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Pine River
An Index of the WPA Employment Case Files between 1935 and 1942 was compiled from the official record of the Colorado Department of Public Welfare, La Plata County Office. The information contained in the record generally shows:
- Name of the applicant
- Date of the filing
- Case number
- Name(s) and location of next of kin
- Date applicant accepted for employment
- Military service dates
- General work experience record and qualifications
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as La Plata County, Colorado Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Plata+county+Colorado+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a La Plata County, Colorado Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Durango Colorado Family History Center
- Redmesa Colorado Family History Center
- Pine River Public Library District/Bayfield
395 Center Drive
Bayfield, CO 81122
Phone: (970) 884-2222
- Durango Public Library
1188 E Second Ave
Durango, CO 81301
Phone: (970) 375-3380
- Ignacio Library District
470 Goddard Ave
Ignacio, CO 81137
Phone: (970) 563-9287
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
Cities and Towns (* incorporated)
• Bayfield *
• Durango* (county seat)
• Hermosa 
• Ignacio* 
• La Boca
• La Plata
• La Posta
• Loma Linda
• Pinon Acres
- La Plata County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), La Plata County, Colorado. Page 99 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).