LaGrange County, Indiana Genealogy
Guide to LaGrange County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|LaGrange County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 2, 1832|
|Address|| LaGrange County Courthouse|
105 N Detroit Street
LaGrange, IN 46761-1853
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business Records
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Histories
- 2.14 Land and Property
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps
- 2.17 Military
- 2.18 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.19 Newspapers
- 2.20 Obituaries
- 2.21 Periodicals
- 2.22 Probate Records
- 2.23 Public Records
- 2.24 Repositories
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Taxation
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 2.28 Voter Registration
- 3 References
For tips on accessing LaGrange County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Mortality Schedule for LaGrange County, Indiana (1860) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for LaGrange County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
- Directory of Businesses in LaGrange County, Indiana (1868) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 1882 History of LaGrange County, Indiana: from the original History of LaGrange and Noble county, historical and biographical. (1979. Knightstown, IN: The Bookmark.) 977.279 H2e FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
After land was transferred from the government to private ownership, subsequent transactions were recorded at the courthouse, where records are currently housed.
- Newbury Township land patent map
See Indiana Land and Property for additional information about early Indiana land grants and patents.
- Family Maps of LaGrange County, Indiana Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War service men from LaGrange County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment)that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from La Grange County.
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Heavy Artillery, Company A
- 7th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company H
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies B, C, I, and M
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company C
- 30th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company G
- 44th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 88th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 100th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 129th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 152nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
Civil War Books
- The Call to Arms Chapter 4 in 1882 History of LaGrange County, Indiana: from the original History of LaGrange and Noble county, historical and biographical. (1979. Knightstown, IN: The Bookmark.), (page 84 - 110; Regiment, Companies) 977.279 H2e FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
Civil War Databases
- Residents of LaGrange County Who Died in the Civil War ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Naturalization and Citizenship
La Grange County Courthouse
105 N Detroit Street
La Grange, IN 46761-1853
County Health Department has birth and death records from 1882
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1832
County Recorder has land records from 1832. 
Family History Centers
The main FamilySearch Center for LaGrange County, Indiana Genealogy is the
For additional nearby Family History Centers, search online in the [Family History Center directory]
Indiana tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties.
For more information see the wiki page Indiana Taxation.
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Death, E-Publication, Instiution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- La Grange County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), La Grange County, Indiana 214 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.