LDS Patriarchal Blessings
A patriarchal blessing is a blessing given to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by an ordained patriarch and usually provides genealogical information. The top of the printed copy of the blessing often gives the person’s complete name, birth date, birthplace, and parents’ names. When looking for a patriarchal blessing, always check for women under their maiden and married names. Some early Saints had more than one blessing.
The Family History Library Catalog has the following indexes to patriarchal blessings:
- Index to Patriarchal Blessings: 1833–1963. Salt Lake City: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1963. (FHL films 392631–96.) This alphabetical card index includes the genealogical information listed at the top of each blessing.
- Index to Patriarchal Blessings, 1833–1993. Salt Lake City: n.p., 1993? (FHL fiche 6334933 [set of 68.) This alphabetical list gives the birth date, patriarchal blessing date, and the volume and page number where the blessing is recorded. This index includes the blessings turned into Church headquarters as of 15 June 1993.
You may request copies of patriarchal blessings for:
- A deceased direct line ancestor
Please provide the following information:
- Your Church membership record number. (To obtain the required Church membership record number, please see your ward membership clerk)
- Blessing recipient's name as it appears on the blessing. (For women please provide both the married and maiden name)
- Birth date of blessing recipient.
- Name of patriarch giving blessing and stake in which the blessing was received.
- Approximate year the blessing was given.
- Your relationship to recipient.
- Mailing address.
You may obtain copies by:
- Visiting the Church History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah (bring a valid photo id)
- Online at LDS.org
- Go to www.lds.org
- Select Tools.
- Select Patriarchal Blessing.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Effective March 1, 2007, we will no longer charge a fee for copies of patriarchal blessings. This applies to both individual and ancestral blessings. In order for our staff to efficiently process requests in a timely manner, it will be necessary to limit requests to four (4) blessings a month.
If you have any questions, please call the Church History Library customer service desk at 801-240-2540.