Kittitas County, Washington Genealogy
Guide to Kittitas County Washington genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Kittitas County, Washington|
Location in the state of Washington
Location of Washington in the U.S.
|Founded||November 24, 1883|
|Address|| Kittitas County Courthouse|
205 W 5th Avenue
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Kittitas County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Cemeteries
- 2.4 Census
- 2.5 Church Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.8 Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
- 2.9 Directories
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogy
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Migration
- 2.16 Military
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Periodicals
- 2.21 Probate
- 2.22 Public Records
- 2.23 Repositories
- 2.24 Taxation
- 2.25 Vital Records
- 2.26 Websites
- 3 Places
- 4 Kittitas County Washington Genealogy References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created 24 November 1883 from Yakima
- County seat: Ellensburg 
- Neighboring Counties: Chelan | Douglas | Grant | King | Pierce | Yakima
The types of records that follow are used for genealogy and family history. Most tell what you may learn and how to locate the records. Links to Internet sites usually go directly to Kittitas County, Washington Genealogy entries with names, images, or information.
|Don't overlook Kittitas County, Washington Genealogy items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Archives and Libraries.|
- 1890 Veterans
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
World War II Files, 1942-1946
Public Welfare/Social Security Department, (Japanese Internment) Assistance Cases, Evacuee Referrals for Resettlement and Assistance, 1945-1946 from the Washington State Archives – Digital Archives
Local histories for Kittitas County, Washington Genealogy may include biographies, history of churches, schools, local government with names of officials, military information, and more. See Washington Local Histories.
Land and Property
|Yes or Maybe ⇒||Y||M|
|Land Description and Dates||]]|
Land records (especially deeds) may give the name of a spouse, heirs, and witnesses, who may be relatives or in-laws.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Washington State Digital Archives has digitized various types of naturalization-related records, including declarations of intentions, delayed birth files, naturalization affidavits, notifications of application for admission to US citizenship, orders fixing naturalization terms, petitions and records, petitions, receipts for certificates of citizenship, record of final decrees of citizenship and record of petitions dockets. Depending on the county, records range from 1854-1988.
Finding More Washington Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Kittitas County, Washington Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records identify heirs of the decedents, give the (approximate) death dates, and provide specifics about property holdings. The records were kept by the county judge.
These include wills, inheritance records, dockets, and other documents regarding property and estates of individuals who have died. See also Court Records for civil actions involving estates. Also see Washington Probate Records.
Kittitas County Courthouse
205 W 5th Avenue
Ellensburg, WA 98926
County Auditor has birth and death 1891-1907, marriage
records from 1884 and land records from 1882.
Coutny Clerk has divorce, probate and court records from 1890’s. 
Family History Centers
- Washington Death Certificates 1907-1960 A free internet index to the 1907-1960 death certificates can be found at FamilySearch Record Search, no images are available. A transcribed death certificate may contain such information as name of the deceased, date and place of death, age, gender, birth date and birth place, mother’s maiden name and name of spouse, place of residence, occupation and certificate numbers.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Kittitas County, Washington Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Kittitas County Washington Genealogy References
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kittitas County, Washington page 733, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.