Kingston Parish, Virginia
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 23:32, 12 January 2012 by Murphynw
- abt 1652
The Mathews County Historical Society published a survey of the graves at Christ Church Cemetery in 1988: FHL Book 975.531 V3s (pages 156 to 165). The compilers describe the cemetery as follows:
- "There may have been a church at Kingston Parish as early as 1652. Vestry book records show a chapel on the North River in 1679. In colonial times the parish church would be established before a chapel, and the old name for the church on this location was 'Kingston.' It was noted in the old vestry book that a meeting was held the 29th September, 1715, at 'the Easternmost River Church.' The oldest identified tombstone is that of twenty-six year old Elizabeth Tompkins who died in 1842. Her stone today is in the chancel just beyond the altar rail. Elizabeth herself, is not under the stone, but lies in the churchyard with her sister, Sally Tompkins. The locations of earlier, colonial and slave graves are not known."
- Mason, George Carrington. "The Colonial Churches of Kingston Parish, Gloucester County, Virginia," The William and Mary Quarterly, Second Series, Vol. 20, No. 2 (Apr. 1940):261-264. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Matheny, Emma R. and Helen K. Yates. Kingston Parish Register, Gloucester and Mathews Counties, Virginia, 1749-1827. Richmond, Va.: E.R. Matheny and H.K. Yates, 1963. Reprinted 2004. Original is available at FHL; digital versions at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- "Some Extracts from the Register of Kingston Parish," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 15, No. 2 (Oct., 1906), pp. 93-99. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Chamberlayne, C.G. The Vestry Book of Kingston Parish, Mathews County, Virginia (until May 1, 1791, Gloucester County), 1679-1796. Originally published Richmond, Virginia, 1929. ISBN 0-8063-4842-9; available at FHL; digital versions at Ancestry ($) and Family History Archives.
- Kingston Parish, The Diocese of Virginia (official website). Includes parish history, visitor directions, meeting schedules, contact information.
- Kingston Parish, The Historical Marker Database
- Epitaphs of Gloucester and Mathews Counties in Tidewater Virginia through 1865 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia State Library, 1959).
- Christine L. Sheridan and Elsie W. Ernst, Tombstones of Mathews County, Virginia 1711-1986 (Mathews County, Virginia: Mathews County Historical Society, Inc., 1988), 156.
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).