|Kent Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
- The Romney Marsh Research Trust was formed in 1987 to study the history, archaeology and landscape history (or ‘geomorphology’) of Romney Marsh.
Wesley Historical Society - London And The South East
7 Hornminster Glen
Hornchurch, London RM11 3XL UK
Website: Wesley Historical Society - London And The South East
- The aims of the Society laid down in 1893 were to promote the study of the history and literature of early Methodism, research into the Wesley's, and investigation into the beginnings and development of Methodism. Area: London and the South East. South East England consists of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Kent, Oxfordshire, Surrey, and West Sussex.
- The group welcomes all those who have an interest in the archaeology and history of Bexley and the surrounding area. Since its formation the group has provided an opportunity for people in the community to get involved in Archaeology and History in the local area.
Canterbury Historical & Archaeological Society (CHAS)
Newton Lecture Theatre Ng03
North Holmes Campus
N Holmes Rd
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury, Kent CT1 1QU UK
Telephone: 01227 780245
Website: Canterbury Historical & Archaeological Society (CHAS)
- Canterbury Historical and Archaeological Society was established in 1920 'to encourage the study of the history and antiquities of the City of Canterbury and surroundings and to preserve the architectural features and characteristics of the City.'
- The Chalk Parish History Group is a small group of people who are interested in local history, particularly that of Chalk.
St. Marys Parish Centre
Dover, Kent CT16 1BY UK
Website: Dover Society
- Assisting with the preservation of our Historic Town of Dover.
- The aims of the society are primarily to promote, encourage and co-ordinate research into the history of the Eden Valley and to provide a platform for talks and discussion.
- For more than 50 years the Faversham Society has been working towards the preservation and enjoyment of this unique historic town.
- The aims of the Society are to promote the study of Scientific and Archaeological subjects in the district by individual research, by collective study and the interchange of ideas by means of papers, readings, lectures, excursions, field days and outings. By the publication of transactions, journals etc, and other means that seemed advisable at the time.
Historical Research Group of Sittingbourne
Swale, Kent ME10 4BX UK
Telephone: 01634 230421
Website: Historical Research Group of Sittingbourne
- Our aim is to investigate, record, and promote the history of Sittingbourne and the local area by research, study, education, and publication.
- The Society was founded in 1857 and has the following objects: To promote the study and publication of archaeology and history in all their branches, especially within the ancient county of Kent. Much of the County has been lost to London since 1857 so the “ancient county” is treated as including the London Boroughs of Bexley, Bromley, Greenwich, and Lewisham, as well as Medway and the administrative county.
Leigh & District Historical Society
Leigh Small Village Hall
Tonbridge, Kent TN11 8RL UK
Website: Leigh & District Historical Society
- The Leigh and District Historical Society was founded with two main objectives: To provide an annual programme of meetings with presentations on historical subjects connected to Leigh, together with presentations on subjects of both county and national interest, and To maintain and add to our archive of local historical material and to make this available both to local residents and historians in general.
Lower Medway Archaeological Research Group
The Friends Meeting House
Rochester, Kent ME1 1LS UK
Telephone: 01634 717135
Website: Lower Medway Archaeological Research Group
Maidstone Area Archaeological Group
Maidstone Community Support Centre
39-48 Marsham St
Maidstone, Kent ME14 1HH UK
Telephone: 01622 762422
Website: Maidstone Area Archaeological Group
- The Group was founded in 1969 in order to promote archaeological research in the Maidstone area, co-ordinate archaeological research, and publish the results of such research.
North West Kent Family History Society
Bromley Methodist Church
Bromley, Kent BR1 3NS UK
Dartford Technology College
Dartford, Kent DA1 2LY UK
Telephone: 01322 384836
Sevenoaks Community Centre
Sevenoaks, Kent TN14 5DN UK
- The North West Kent Family History Society was formed in 1978 with the object of aiding and encouraging the study of family history and genealogy in South East London and North West Kent.
Orpington & District Archaeological Society
Christ Church (United Reformed)
Bromley, London BR5 1LH UK
Website: Orpington & District Archaeological Society
- The Society promotes the study of archaeology in the local area by undertaking excavations, carrying out research, and encouraging public interest through meetings and visits.
- The Society was founded in 1960 to provide a focus for local people with historical interests. Unlike some similar societies it is concerned with national history and with archaeology, as well as with the history of Kent and the local area.
- Our area of interest is West Kent, primarily the Darent Valley, however, we are prepared to move outside this area to assist other societies, groups, landowners, and members of the public with resistivity geophysics, metal detecting, and field walking projects.