Kendall County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Kendall County Texas ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Kendall County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||10 January, 1862|
|Address||Kendall County Courthouse|
201 E. San Antonio St.
Boerne, Texas 78006
- 1 County Information
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
The county was named for George Wilkins Kendall, a journalist, and Mexican–American War correspondent. The County is located in the south-central area of the state.
Kendall County Courthouse
201 E. San Antonio St.
Boerne, Texas 78006
County Clerk - Darlene Herrin
Phone: 830-249-9343[[Image:]]830-249-9343 ext. 230
County Clerk has marriage, probate and land records
201 E. San Antonio St.Suite 127
Phone: 830-249-9343 ext. 230
201 E. San Antonio St.Suite 201
Phone: 830-249-9343 ext. 260
Kendall County has been home to two Courthouses. The first one, built in 1870, is still in use, across the street from the current courthouse, built in 1998.
Kendall County, Texas Record DatesEdit
General compliance by the 1930s.
- County seat: Boerne 
See an interactive map of Kendall County border changes.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / LocalitiesEdit
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|FindAGrave||Family History Library||FindAGrave|
|BillionGraves (name)||Cemeteries of TX|
|GenWeb Archives||Texas Cemeteries|
|Names in Stone||Interment|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Kendall County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- A History of Kendall County, Texas, 1984, by Kendall County Historical Commission.
- Historic Images of Boerne, Texas, 1982, by Garland A. Perry.
- A Hundred Years of Comfort in Texas, 1954; rev. ed. 1974, by Guido E. Ransleben.
- Death on the Nueces: German Texans Treue der Union, 2002, by Rodman L. Underwood.
- Kendall County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
- 1861 - 1865 - Texas, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 - Texas, Civil War Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
World War IEdit
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Kendall County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- The Boerne Star Newspaper
- Newspapers in Kendall County from the Kendall County TXGenWeb site.
- Wikipedia has a list of online newspaper archives for Texas.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has San Antonio newspapers from the late 1800's that may include residents from Kendall County.
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1800 – 1990 Texas Probate Records at FamilySearch — images
- 1800 – 2000 Texas Wills and Probate Records at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
1846-1910 Texas County Tax Rolls lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
Online Birth Indexes and Records
- 1840-1981 Texas, Births and Christenings, 1840-1981 - FamilySearch
- 1903-1997 Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 (index) - FamilySearch
- 1903-1935 Texas, Birth Certificates, 1903-1935 (images and index) - FamilySearch
Online Marriage Indexes and Records
- 1802-2010 Texas, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1814-1909 and 1966-2011 Texas Marriage Collection 1814-1909 and 1966-2011 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1837-1965 Texas, County Marriage Records, 1837-1965 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1837-1973 Texas, Marriages, 1837-1973 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837-1977 Texas, County Marriage Index, 1837-1977 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837-1977 Texas Select County Marriage Index 1837-1977 at Ancestry.com — index $
Online Death Indexes and Records
- 1890-1976 Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images] Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- 1903-1973 Texas Deaths and Burials 1903-1973 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1903-1982 Texas Death Certificates 1903-1982 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1964-1998 Texas Death Index - 1964 to 1998] [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates of a million people who have died since 1964.
- 1977-1986 Texas Deaths 1977-1986 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1968-2005 Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 (index) - Hidden Ancestors
- 1968-2010 Texas Divorce Index 1968-2010 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1968-2011 Texas Divorces 1968-2011 at Ancestry.com — index $
Societies and LibrariesEdit
Genealogical Society of Kendall County
114 East Blanco Road
Boerne, Tx 78006
Telephone Number: 830-331-8730
Boerne Area Historical Preservation Society
PO Box 178
Boerne, TX 78006
Kendall County Historical Commission
PO Box 993
Boerne TX 78006
- Boerne Public Library website
210 N. Main St.
Boerne, TX 78006
Telephone Number: 830-249-3053
- Comfort Public Library website
- Kendalia Public Library website
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
- Kendall County TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- FamilySearch Catalog The catalog is genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) This catalog is different than the indexed Historical Records.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Kendall, Texas" in "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendall_County,_Texas. accessed 10/08/2019
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kendall County, Texas. Page 667 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kendall County, Texas . Page 658-677 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 655-665.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Kendall County, Texas," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendall_County,_Texas, Last accessed 22 July 2019.