Kempstone, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Mitford and Launditch|
|Parish registers: 1721|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
KEMPSTON (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 6¾ miles (N. E.) from Swaffham. 
St Paul Kempstone is an Ancient parish in the Brisley deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
In 1897 the church closed and fell into ruin; the parishioners become part of Litcham, Norfolk with Kempstone parish.
The ruins of the church are described by Simon Knott http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/kempstone/kempstone.htm
Kempstone, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS ATs = England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812 (FamilySearch) - free|
|FS BTs = England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941 (FamilySearch) - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|Kempstone, Norfolk Genealogy Parish Online Records|
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held at the Family History Library.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
- Norfolk Poor Law Unions
- Mitford &Launditch http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm
- Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.
- Mitford 1837-1938
- East Dereham 1939-1974
- Norfolk: Kempston on GenUKI
- Samuel A. Lewis,http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51070#s13 A Topographical Dictionary of England](1848), pp. 646-652. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' FindMyPast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.